I quit smoking Pot Cold Turkey on Thanksgiving

I quit marijuana. I am sober. Happy Thanksgiving.

Yesterday was my last day being a marijuana smoker. I ran into my ex-dealer at my local pub and he smoked me up.

I have not had anything today, and I don’t have any left. I do not smoke pot anymore. I am healthy. I am healthy. I crave health.

I have been at this stage before, but I have always relapsed. I know that this blog and support from internet community will help me achieve my goal permanently. The plan from here is to write daily journals of my progress, and more detailed posts on specific techniques or concepts that are helpful to me.

Days Sober: 1

{ 70 comments… add one }

• Ladymoo April 11, 2010, 3:26 am

Hiya guys, I’ve been smoking weed everyday since about 15, I’m now 22 and have just got a great job as an outdoor activities instructor. Thing is, I’ll have to live on site in a log cabin with a load of people I don’t know, in a new place. Pretty sure I won’t be able to smoke up there. I have been feeling a bit down about my smoking habit anyway but I find stopping sooo hard. The minute I get stressed all I can think is “I need a spliff!!” I really want to stop and grab this great opportunity but I’m scared I can’t do it. It doesn’t help that everyone just thinks I’m a stupid stoner and won’t be successful. I start the job in the summer. Any advice? You are all doing sooo great!! Keep it up guys!

• mdubbs55 May 6, 2010, 9:03 pm

day 4… Well, i just spent a little while reading all of your posts and to all those in the process of quitting, good luck…YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Also…Matt…the masters in biochem probably means you do not smoke pot…and when you smoke pot 3+ times a day…and then you quit…there ARE physical side effects… so please keep your negativity to yourself, because until you feel what we are feeling, nothing you say matters… Guys, you can do it…if i can, you can too…and I am on the road. I feel so much better about myself(besides the withdrawal), its such a good feeling when you put your mind to something and you actually do it! Remember, NEVER doubt what you are capable of.. and when you think you can not take it anymore, remind yourself why you quit and what smoking did to you. In the words of my boy al pacino…When the shit hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay… Well, here we are, facing the fire… it aint easy, but nothing ever is… Something i remind myself to help me when i want to smoke is that I can go through life dwelling on the past and missing being high…but the truth is…there aint no future living in our past… Im here for anyone that needs support, so if need be, lean on me, because i just may need someone to lean on… Good luck and God bless

• Me June 17, 2010, 9:21 am

:evil: I am hateful….

It’s been three days since I’ve smoked up – I stopped a week after finding out that I was pregnant. Even though everything I read says there’s no known bad effects, I can’t help but think there are… So I made the choice to stop, and I’m absolutely hating it!! :x

I’ve smoked for about 10 years, usually a few times a day, and I don’t think I’ve quit for more than a few two-week stints. Luckily, my husband doesn’t smoke (only rarely with me) so he’s really supportive, but he doesn’t understand that I want to rip his eyes out for just being in my vicinity… I’m internally raging, and I can’t tell people why – I have a great job, good life, I’m not a slacker – my addiction was a great risk to my livelihood… I’ve got to stop!!! I’m just really, REALLY hating this!

• tyronez July 7, 2010, 8:47 pm

2days my first day stop smoking cold turkey…wish me all luck my fellow x-stonerz :cool:

• Stoner August 7, 2010, 1:09 pm

Stopped smoking begining of last week, this is my first weekend in 5 years that I have gone a whole week without smoking weed.
    I have a good job albeit stressful and I work hard, weed was my release but at the same time I found myself spending over 800-1000 per month, it was all that I looked forward to each day, this is by far the hardest thing I have had to do and its driving me insane, nightmares, sweats, cravings, but if I keep smoking I will never own or have anything regardless of what I may earn, I feel for everyone who is trying to achieve this goal, wish I had someone with me to help me through this, makes me sad.

• ryan November 21, 2010, 5:21 pm

i quit smoking pot now cold turkey for a week to follow my dreams i smoked since i was 14 to fit in and hope to find a girlfriend to talk with and it helped my seizures but i would like more out my life health and the dream thing i also quit cigarettes wich i smoked since 14 also i hoped to find a girl to support me but they all think i’m dishonest really i’m nice easy going and like to help people my uncle owes 2grand thats one reason i was stressed he won’t pay life isn’t about money it’s about love and whats in the heart i wish i could volunter but no ride i’m on disabilty i try and i get really moody cause quiting advois bad speller too i just wish a women would understand i’m nice good guy but my luck sad thats what makes me wanna smoke being alone so long when the heart hurts it hurts i always go about things the wrong way have hope thats where the heart is ;-)

• Kiana November 27, 2010, 11:10 am

Good day!!!! Happy Thanksgiving!!! :) :)
    Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and each yr I like to get into the mood-extend the holiday, when it were-by reading “Thanksgiving novels.” Of course, those stories are mostly about friends and family, about coming together to heal old hurts and giving them thanks for the gift of love. . . —–
    You’re Far better Off Today Than You Were nine Yrs Ago?

• sean December 24, 2010, 4:30 pm

i have been smoking weed pretty consistently for the last 4 years(every day with the occasional 2 week- 1 month break which was hard every time). i have recently quit ciggies about a month ago and now i only smoke bongs. its guna be 2011 in a few days and i wanna quit weed for a at least 6 months for my new years resolution. problem is i dont feel like myself when im not stoned. for some reason when i smoke i feel more stable and more together mentally. this is bad because i know when i stop its going to have some effects on my emotional stability. it will also affect my ability to concentrate for long periods of time. i still spin my weed out with tobacco so thats guna make it evan harder. MJ is a fine drug but it turns into a monster when you become dependent on it..u just gotta use it with self controll. after i quit for 6 months im going to go back to only doing it on the weekends. its guna be hard but i know that i can no longer be an every day smoker…or else i know that i will go nowhere in life ( as smoking weed makes me lazy). n e hoo thats my story good luck to anyone else trying to quit pot.

• Nietzche January 20, 2011, 7:51 am

All right, so I never smoked till I was 21. At first I was an occasional smoker, then I turned into a daily smoker, then I ended up getting an overnight job at a restaurant. There was no management while I worked, just me and one other person. I was free to smoke from the moment I woke up until the moment I went to sleep, and I did just that. Before I knew it 3 years of my life had flown by me. I wasted all that time just getting high, just because I was bored, because I was in a bad relationship, it was my answer to everything. I got out of that relationship about 2 years ago and have stopped smoking religiously for about 1 year. It seems that I will go about 2 weeks or so and then smoke a joint or two with a friend, hate myself the next day and do it again about every 2 weeks. From what I’ve read from some of you that is not really that bad. But I am so hard on myself. I have trouble sleeping like I see some people on here talking about. I just can’t fall asleep, my mind is racing. I think if I get more exercise and try to put myself more on a schedule I’ll be okay. As for the jack-ass that said “Oh quitting pot is all in your head, quit whining!” Well screw you cuz I’m sure you probably have never smoked weed before. I was the same way, I had misconceptions about weed before I smoked it, but learning from experience now I know what it is truly like.

• seanO January 30, 2011, 5:19 am

hey

i have been smoking every day for the last 4 years (with the occasional 1 – 3 week break) i could of had an awsome weekend this weekend…could of got laid if i decided to go out….could of had an amazing surf as the surf is pumping at the moment…but what did i do??? stayed at home and smoke bongs….as with many many other weekends..i feel like i am smoking my life away so i have decided to go cold turkey 2morrow…im am currently having my last smoke session getting rid of my remaining weed after which i will throw out all my smoking items. after reading this forum last week im guessing there will be some withdrawls…i smoke 12-15 + times a day so i know it aint guna be easy. i am seeing a natropath and getting some herbal drugs that supposedly reduce the cravings, so hopefully it will be all good but i still dont know what to expect. i wish the best of luck to everyone else reading this forum wanting to quit…..i believe that it can be done. i also believe that life WILL improved when your not stoned all the time haha. u just gta keep ya head up and hang in there…thats my plan

• =ed March 10, 2011, 9:27 pm

I’ve been smoking pot daily for over ten years. Its so hard for me to quit, because I don’t even know who I am without pot. I normally smoke an eighth ounce every two days, and am constantly stoned, from the minute I wake up in the afternoon up to the minute I wonder off to sleep in the morning. The last time I went an extended period without pot was when I was eighteen years old. I went off to college at some rural university were pot wasn’t very prevalent, and I, having no money, was unwillingly forced to withstand months of sobriety. I went batshit crazy. People thought I was weird, and understandably so, because I was. I felt more intelligent, but I had this weird overwhelming energy to me that people couldn’t stand. Sometimes I would get so frustrated. I’m afraid to go through that again, especially on my own. I don’t have anyone to help carry me through this. My only source of emotional support comes from my cat and my roommate, who is even a bigger stoner than me. I don’t even feel like I can start to quiit smoking untill I finish off the pot I have left, but by the time I do that its possible that my mind will have completely changed. It seems like whenever I’m stoned I want to quit, but once I sober up I just want to smoke again so bad.

• nello March 21, 2011, 10:45 am

well today i have allocated to stop smoking weed. I have realized that smoking has pretty much consume my life.. first of a good high to now where i need to to get sleep . i smoke about 4 blunts a day, tried using the bong n all that just not the same n stuck to blunts…
    I notice that being high took away time i spend with my kids , money i could be spending on my kids, my time in the gym, and time from my relationship. I sopped before n life was great i was really freakin happy then i slipped thanksgiving 2011. i have decided to stop again. please pry that this time is the last.. i am just the type of person how gets addicted easy n i know this is not my destiny…life is more than getting high n feeling good!

• letsee June 6, 2011, 12:38 pm

I am seriously thinking of quiting……….my finance is suffering so bad, I get broke less than one week after I get paid, becuase I live in a country where weeed is extremely expensive and scarce …….also…right now i am thinking of quiting and have not smoked since today, not becuase i dont want to, but becuase I am broke, other than food and all my bills that i must pay, i spend all my money on weed, I hate my self for this….I think I will quit until I return to my country where weed cost almost nothing

• Jeronimo August 1, 2011, 4:20 pm

I have smoked weed for 30 years and an giving up as of know,I have had enough of feeling totally stuffed all day because of my habit I am 62 years young and don’t want to end up in a Dementia Hospital wing.

• Jeronimo August 1, 2011, 4:21 pm

Oops should now not know.

• Elise October 11, 2011, 2:33 pm

Hi…
    i haven’t smoked in a week now. its going well but i still have cravings.
    when i have an urge to smoke a good thing to think of is that it is not actually you who wants to smoke.. its only that small part of your brain that is still addicted… if that makes sense.. my point is it is a psychological addiction so it mixes up with your own thoughts and can be very confusing.
    im posting this because everyday i feel like i want to smoke and its very hard to tell myself not to.
    reading these posts really help, i feel completely alone at the moment but the posts remind me that someone feels the same as i do.
    wish me luck… :|

• Wickddollgirl November 17, 2011, 10:38 pm

I am 50, divorced, beautiful and single because of weed. I hated my job, I used it to get through the day…I hated that…..blahblahblah ….I have wasted every second I got was smoking, (unless it was during sex and I was smoking), but I have puffed away the last 7 years and now my beloved kids hate me. I gave what I had left t a friend and I want to go weed free forever, so much so, I told my favorite dispensary to send me home the next time I came in. A waste. One has to see or self and I have known this many many years . Shame on me.

• samantha January 5, 2012, 2:00 am

i wish i could quit reading these really do hel tho :???:

• Sam January 7, 2012, 9:22 pm

Hey, this is my first post, but if things go as planned hopefully not my last. Basically I’m 17, been smoking since i was 14 daily since then and many times per day for the last 2 years. For the most part I’ve always just told myself im fine – that its normal to have a crutch, everyone does – but i think i finally realize that im not fine.

This is the first 24 hour period I have gone without smoking a popper or a bong bowl in at least 5 months. I’ve quit for a month before, and i know what coming.

I just hope that I am strong enough.
    That I can remember who this is for.
    This is for me.
    me.

• strong minded April 8, 2013, 3:46 am

quit moaning, none of you want to give up and know you wont. I gave up smoking, alcohol and dope all in the one day when I found out I was pregnant and I had been smoking cigs and dope every day for 16 years. there are no side effects, you just want there to be so you have an excuse to go back on it :shock: