Mood Swings and Withdrawal from Marijuana

Thanks to all of you who have been posting comments to update me with their progress or keep me on track.    Today was a great day, being that it is Friday and I have the weekend in front of me.   My entire goal of Friday night is preparing for the weekend and not smoking weed at all.   The weekends are usually when I smoke a tonne of weed so it will take a lot of will power and distraction to keep sober over the next 2 days.   I also need to make sure I don’t substitute with alcohol – I really don’t want to trade marijuana addiction for alcoholism!

I have some withdrawal mood swings over the last 3 or 4 days.   Not exactly depressed, but angry and cynical.    I remember a quote “Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm”, so I am getting somewhere :)    I am feeling good at the moment and looking forward to accomplishing a lot this weekend.

But hey, 1 day at a time.  I have been researching new hobbies and will be putting some time into the website this weekend.    I think I am going to wait a little longer before I do a major overhaul on the layout, categories, and navigation.

{ 25 comments… add one }

• Ekim December 9, 2007, 1:16 am

Well, I screwed up tonight. :cry: Took only one hit of some killer homegrown and caught a buzz, surprisingly. Only thing is that it felt like crap. I felt all jittery like I was having a panic attack. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me smoking weed.

Good thing is that I didn’t have any more and declined an offer of some free buds to take home with me. So while I am really disappointed in myself, I’m glad I didn’t smoke more and bring that crap home with me.

So my tally of weedless days starts over. But tomorrow is a new day and I will not smoke. No sense in dwelling on tonight. Plus I won $200 on tonight’s fights so I guess it wasn’t all that bad. And no, I won’t be buying weed with that money. :lol:

Keep your head up and stay focused, as hard as it may seem. You can do it.

• Anton December 11, 2007, 4:18 pm

Hey Admin, I am definitely rooting for you. Mainly because I am quitting as well (after 11 years). I love the idea of writing down all the negative things about smoking to keep you motivated. I have quit smoking cigs many many times, so I know how it is about relapsing.

I am hoping that I can successfully quit smoking for the following reasons:
    1) I have finally mentally convinced myself that it is harming me. This was the first step for me when I quit smoking cigs.
    2) I live in a college town and most of my friends who smoke have left, so the temptation has greatly dimished.
    3) I am currently out of town for work until Friday with absolutely no access to weed.
    4) My wife doesn’t smoke (anymore for 4 years now), but has never really given me a hard time about it or ever demanded that I quit. However, when I told her on Sunday that I was going to quit, she was very supportive.
    5) After I get back in town from work we will be going on a 2-week visit to the inlaws, so I am hoping that 4 weeks of not smoking will do the trick.

Anyway, I really appreciate this blog, especially because you are being honest with your relapses. I really hate when I tell people I am going to quit something, and then relapse (this happened with cigs countless times), so telling my wife that I am quitting is a big step for me.

Keep us posted and good luck..

• jpchato December 14, 2007, 11:25 pm

I’m jumping on board today. I smoked a ton of weed earlier today and am not even high anymore. My tolerance level is way too high and I sense that my memories abilities have been hindered ever since I started smoking marijuna.

+1 to the amount of addicted users trying to quit

• Keepitreal December 29, 2007, 6:36 pm

Hi Admin,

Good for you in taking such important steps in your recovery. It’s refreshing to hear your honesty. I’m getting ready to throw my stash away either tonight or on New Year’s. I realize how much it affects me (I’ve actually known this for quite a while) and I’m tired of feeling numb. Even though I really only smoke at night when I get home from work, it still is a problem for me because I veg out too much at night and sit around just watching tv.

I think you’re doing a great job in your recovery process. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

• CraigyBurN November 12, 2008, 3:57 am

Mood swings and withdrawal..

Tell me about it..

I made the all important decision last week monday, but by wednesday, i was so grumpy with everyone, that i dug around wherever i could and scraped a small bowl together and smoked it at 11 pm on wednesday night.

By then , nothing was around to make me grumpy so it seemed pointless, but i just had to feel the buzz again for some reason.

im still fighting it though. i used to smoke about 6-10 bong hits per day, every day…due to various excuses ive created, i have smoked at night on 4 occasions, smoking weed i cunningly lifted from my friends bag…

i feel guilty, i feel like im halting the inevitable, but this website really does help, more than you might think.

so ill keep checking in daily, write an update, and continue to become THC free!

• Jason Fladager January 11, 2010, 9:26 am

I sympathize with what you are going through and wish you well! Thank you for starting a blog on this topic. I know many people who find themselves in similar situations.

• Rafael January 28, 2010, 12:02 pm

I need to stop smoking weed! My eight year old son now knows what I do, he tells me Papi I thought you was going to stop smoking drugs? I’ts terrible the desire to smoke more weed, my best friend is a big pot head who likes to buy weed by the oz’s. I’ve been smoking weed for over 24 years! weed brings me a feel of euphoria when I smoke and listen to salsa, I’ve got to start somewhere but where?

I WISH US POT HEADS THE BEST IN QUITTING…

• divaqueen April 11, 2010, 10:06 am

Today is my 4t day clean. I have been trying (in my mind) to quit since January, but just now took the initiative to stop.

• shaheena June 23, 2010, 5:14 am

:evil:
    this really inspired me. after 10 years of cannabis abuse i have been wanting to quit for some time now. i have never been able to find articles that helped in regards to this addiction until finding this. thank you. i start today.

• Neil hass September 13, 2010, 5:56 am

;-) Thank you so much for this. My last day smoking is october 10th and thanks to this site I may be prepared. its so nice to hear from people going through the same thing I am and not getting shitty advice from people who probably never smoked in the first place like most other addiction help resources.

• rick September 15, 2010, 1:18 am

I’m on my 7th day ov quiting afta smoking for 10 years i’m now 22… I have try several times b4 and always
    Ended up smoking agen… Reading off this site haz opened my eyes
    A lot… I’m now determined to stop and doin well (I think)…. I’m havin the most
    Ruthless side affects.. Twitchy, mood swinges, VERY wierd dreams.
    But with the eating and sleeping I hav gone the other way I’m eating more
    And sleeping a hell of a lot more then bfore…

• Gary August 2, 2011, 6:03 am

Hey folks, been smoking weed for 15 years every day I need to give it up as I feel it’s stopping me living my life to the full. I have also noticed that my moods are crazy I seem just to be in my own world most of the time. Day 2 of being off weed and all is well, I hope my girlfriend sticks with me through this hard time I know I am going to be hard to deal with until I am clean in body and mind.

• On the edge August 24, 2011, 11:02 am

Thank God for this website. It helps to know I am not a freak. Have been smoking for well over 25 years. Just like so many others I was just an occasional smoker for a long time. Didn’t even buy it until I had a crisis in my life. Through that crisis, weed kept me from going off the deep end. But now it’s been years and I don’t like myself anymore. I have become secretive, anti-social. Feel like a fake…
    It is my 3rd day without. Definitely feeling the anxiety, depression. My sleep has not been interrupted but have had the dull headache in the morning and an upset stomach after eating. I wouldn’t be eating if my stomach didn’t demand it. Nothing looks good…yuck!
    Today will be my first day working without it. It used to give me such enthusiasm and this translated in my work! Afraid I won’t be as effective as I was when stoned. I think I was so afraid someone would know that I covered it up with the enthusiasm. Feeling adrift…

• Sad old girl August 28, 2011, 4:15 am

I’ve been smoking weed for nearly 20 years, on and off. I have one son who regularly smokes it and a 16yr old who is already smoking it. I have had this love/hate relationship with weed for all those years. My extended family do not know about my addiction, they know I smoke weed just not how much. I think this is part of the problem, I work and keep my house clean, how can I be an addict? An addict can’t hold down a job etc. etc. I amaze and shame myself at how sneaky and devious I can be, I’ve even stolen my sons weed. I find myself doing disgusting things if I run out or try to quit. I have done all the things others have said, stolen weed, gone through the bin convinced I had some somewhere. Seriously a middle aged woman pulling the house apart looking for weed!
    Anyway, I am inspired by what I’ve been reading, I am not necessarily a bad person but an addict (I know there is a huge debate over cannabis’ addictive qualities, but I am addicted, even if it is all in my head!).
    I am going to read more on here about preparing to give up, I am going to beat this. It’s so easy to type those words I hope I have the strength to actually carry them out. I am even procrastinating about setting a date ……. how can I want to stop so badly on the one hand but seem unable to even set a date?

• Weed Less January 9, 2012, 12:51 am

Its 3 days 4 me and so far ive ranted and raved at my family, cried alot, hot and cold sweats, zero appetite, insomnia, and slighlty anxious, after smoking for 14 years, i wasnt expecting an easy ride, and after experiencing these side effects, i never want to smoke again, they are in my opinion the worse withdrawls ever, heres 2 day 4.x :?

• ..... January 24, 2012, 5:59 am

Day Three – Can’t stop crying , mood swings, screaming and shouting, feeling sick, can’t sleep, constant headache, freezing cold no matter what. Had to get a couple of trains earlier and spent the entire time on the verge of a panic attack, the paranoia has got worse than ever before. My boyfriend has said its either him or the weed.
    I love him so much but this is too hard.

• Jesus August 5, 2012, 5:52 pm

I’m 23 and I’ve been smoking weed since I was 15. From the age of 17 I’ve literally been smoking it every day; more or less without fail.. I didn’t do well at school, despite my natural academic talent; and I think it’s fair to say I under achieved. I got a grade less in each subject at school but it didn’t bother me, I spent most of my adolescent years on my own, I had few friends but the ones I made I cherished. I was bullied in school as we’re the majority of people but it’s the loneliness tht hit me hard. Smoking weed for me is a social thing, it’s one thing two strangers can have in common, it helps build or at least start friendships, so I never saw smoking weed in a bad light, it fuelled my social life, which I longed for. At 17 my friends and I started “experimenting” with other drugs mainly ecstasy, ketamine, cocaine & mushrooms also nitrous oxide. I was on these cocktails of drugs usually on the weekends but occasionally through the week. I was also juggling college and working part time at a supermarket & did around 40 hours a week all together. I was still smoking weed everyday without fail.. On the journey to college, on the break at college, on the way home, before work & of course after work. I’ve always liked the full effects of the high so I was never stingy and I spent about 80-90% of my money on weed so about £250 a month, sometimes more. I eventually got kicked out of college. Soo with fairly high expectations from my family,(who I still wanted to prove to that you can be successful while smoking everyday) I seeked further education and enrolled at uni on a foundation degree. I was accepted. I passed first year but eventually got bored and quit.. But I digress. I don’t blame weed for the results of my education, I think I could have gone down a much darker path considering my situation and thoughts at the time. I love weed, I really do, I relate it to friends and happy times in my life, it’s only come in the way of a relationship once but I chose weed and my friends. No regrets there. But now I see myself in a sort of limbo, I’m leaving my teenage years behind and im trying to be part of society, I want to fit in. In my eyes weed isn’t helping. I have lots of friends who about 80% of smoke weed everyday which makes quitting very difficult as it seems so normal and routine. I’ve not had a relationship for 5 years, not fully blaming weed on this one but I really cba making the effort when I’m high, I’m usually content, because I’m high! I just find myself with so many reasons to quit and so few to keep toking.. To name a few.. I work with young people, I work in sport, I’m soon to be in education again or at least having to do academic work assignments again, my family hates me doing it they think im a much better person when I quit for a few weeks till I “relapse” & they’re probably right, I spend all my money on it, not doing it wouldn’t mean losing friendships and recently I’ve had a major craving for it like I can’t cope without it. I know it’s harming me yet I continue to do it, that is the definition of addiction. I’m a strong character and like to be in control of my actions and life and smoking weed contradicts this. Wow. If anyone seriously reads this all the way through, I commend you, I’ve never written anything down like this before so yeah.. Well tomorrow is a new day and I wont be spending it stoned!!! Let’s see how long it lasts this time, if I’m being honest I’m not very hopeful.. Wish me luck! Oh and moderation in life is the key to success. For this discipline is essential. And I rack diciprine!!

• hoss August 11, 2012, 5:33 pm

I am on day 13 of quitting pot. I have smoked everyday after work all evening long for 8 years.

This has truly sucked. I quit opiates 4 years ago which was the absolute worse.. I actually wound up in a mental hospital for a week. While they say pot is not addictive I disagree.

The first week I experienced insomnia – I always fell asleep thanks to my doc prescribed sleeping pill.. but kept waking up way early and full of anxiety. Also.. no appetite, extreme anxiety, huge depression, sensitivity to noises, and paranoia. I have begun taking prozac again after being off for almost a year.

As I mentioned before the anxiety and depression have been unreal. I have had 2 days where I almost feel normal only to slip back into yet more depression and anxiety. I just wish my mood would stabilize.

The irony is incredible. I quit for many reasons but the main reason was because I was always afraid of being tested at work and losing my job. Well.. since quitting everyone at work has noticed that I have been acting differently and now I am hearing rumors that my boss thinks I am on drugs. How’s that for a kick in the ass? Problem is that it takes so long to be able pass a drug test. ugh!

• hoss August 19, 2012, 4:38 am

Just a quick update. My withdrawal symptoms seem to have peaked around day 18. Today is day 22 with no pot and for the past 3 days I have felt somewhat normal again. Lets hope it lasts.

• hoss August 23, 2012, 11:40 am

Day 28.. still have mood swings but not as bad as before.

• nogreen4me February 26, 2013, 4:02 am

:| To everyone that is trying to quit weed, congratulations on making the right decision, the side effects do get better with time. Ismoked for approx 20 yrs and have been clean for 6mths, gave the cigs up aswell. Its simply understanding the emotional effects of weed cos when we smoked it we loved the feeling and naturally when that feeling is gone we get emotional. Time is what it takes, all the best and keep up the dedicated effort.

• Heather March 9, 2013, 11:26 am

Just caught this blog. I have smoked for over 24 plus years. This Tuesday will be three weeks and I am struggling. I feel so dam emotional. I realize that pot was my way to numb myself from life. I hope that this is just a withdrawal symptom because I liked myself better when I smoked. Thanks for sharing. Heather

• Nick December 10, 2013, 8:41 am

Iv been smoking now since the age of 14 and im now 22. Iv also tried quitting 4 times before and relapsed everytime around the 3rd week. Yesterday i decided enough was enough so i signed myself up to a GYM in order to help me take my mind of it and so far so good. I just really hope i can keep it up.

• Vicky April 22, 2014, 6:45 am

Found this site today. Love weed but this has to stop. Never realised i am addicted until read some of the stories. It feels like all these stories about myself!!! Tried to quit many times, always looking for an excuse to smoke, always delaying quitting date and when i finally decide to quit…i start again in a week or a months time. This been happening for 6years solid :( biggest problem trying to get pregnant and i cant. Weed might be one of the reasons. Anyways made up my mind want to quit defiantly and for good!!! So i will get back with my date and i will need all the moral support from you guys :)

• Dude July 4, 2014, 10:48 pm

54 year old smoking bud since I was 13. I’ve stopped on two occasions once for 2 years, then I relapsed. Then again I quit for 4 years. Completely functional addict, successful career, but two failed marriages and I missed the best years of my sons life. I was a talented motocross racer and could have easily had an awesome career racing proffesionally but buds and girls were more important. My life would have been better had I realized I had a problem. It’s been a week and thank The Lord I’m not climbing the walls. I’m not a drinker and I don’t smoke cigarettes I want to race again and I’m ready, fit and still fast. So I’m excited to see what racing is like sober. I expect to see some withdrawal possibilities but I have no one to blame but myself. Thanks for you effort Admin I appreciate yours and others honesty here. I hope all of us have success.
    Dude