Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms – What Marijuana Detox is Like

Are you trying to quit and going through Marijuana withdrawal?

You are not alone. Many heavy weed smokers go through some form of withdrawal when they haven’t smoked recently. This page describes the physical and psychological symptoms of withdrawal from marijuana. I should know – I smoked weed for close to 10 years before I learned how to kick my addiction to marijuana. Knowing what to expect will help you succeed!

How Long Does Marijuana Withdrawal Take?

Most people who experience marijuana withdrawal symptoms get them between the second and tenth day of quitting weed. Symptoms can last for up to a month in some people. The most intense withdrawal period will be the first week to ten days after you quit smoking marijuana. Different symptoms will resolve themselves at different rates.

Remember that each day the negative symptoms will decrease until you are physically and mentally free from THC! When you know what to expect, you will be well equipped to deal with it!

Marijuana Withdrawal Anxiety

The most common symptom of withdrawal is a low grade anxiety. Although not severe, this feeling is not easily remedied by through distraction or just thinking happy thoughts. In my opinion, the anxiety felt when detoxing from weed is a combination of fear of being sober, and desire to return to a stoned state of mind. It’s almost like your mind is saying “Things aren’t normal, I don’t like this new state”. As you become accustomed to not smoking and the new state of mind, the anxiety will fade.\

Insomnia, Sleeping, and Dreaming

Whenever I quit smoking weed, I would always have disturbances in my sleep. In the beginning the insomnia can be quite severe. The worst for me was about 4 hours sleep in 60 hours. I have heard of some people sleeping less than 5 hours every night, but the worst of the insomnia symptoms tend to disappear about a week after quitting.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.

Change of Appetite and Weight Loss

Another common marijuana detox symptom is the lack of an appetite. I have met a couple people who need to smoke before they eat. When they quit smoking, they don’t have the desire to eat. It’s almost like they needed the munchies to eat food.Let’s face it, marijuana withdrawal stresses the body out, and when you get stressed, you can lose your appetite and lose weight. The weight loss has got to be the best benefit of detox!

Cures for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms

The best cure for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms is time and patience. Having a plan to get through the withdrawal and avoid relapse is also one the keys in learning how to quit smoking marijuana.

Need Help?

For more information about quitting marijuana and a Complete Guide to Withdrawal, check out http://quitmarijuana.org/

{ 1046 comments… add one }

• Kate July 24, 2014, 10:04 pm

Alina, I have the same thing. I’ve been a regular smoker for 2 years about now, something like 6 bowls a day or some dabs…. I had a constant full feeling since April and experience one week of no smoking in May and one just now. This round is worse, been having no appetite and when I do eat I throw up my dinner. My heart is beating very hard, I believe due to anxiety. I didn’t believe it was weed doing this to me….. Maybe other things on top of it? Aka jet lag (as these breaks are vacations) but I can certainly tell you weed withdrawl is most likely real and more powerful than any sickness I’ve had before…. No way to spend your vacations. I would suggest quitting before hand. Lemme know if you have the extreme nausea all day too? Added worries?

• Walter July 25, 2014, 8:07 pm

I’ll be 37 in September and I’ve smoked herb off and on since I was 16. I’ve been a daily smoker most of my 30’s and today is my first day sober in awhile. I’ve quit many times, usually to pass a whiz quiz for a new job but it never feels easy. I have an addictive personality. It sucks. I wish I was one of those people that isn’t attracted to substances. For me, herb has been a way to relax after a long day or on the weekend. As a musician of many years, it also helps me get the creative juices flowing. Life feels mundane without my friend Mary riding shotgun. It’s been a long time since I’ve been clean for more than 6 months. Somebody please tell me that there is joy and creativity to be had sans marijuana.

• Jay July 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

I’m with u guys, after 11 years of smoking everyday, I no longer have a job to support my habits, and so this week be my first sober week since high school, I plan on going to the dog park and library this week, plus runs, but in general I’m scared,,,

• nk August 1, 2014, 8:31 pm

• thiza August 3, 2014, 3:13 pm

Hi I ve been smoking for 4 years daily and I’m 4 weeks without a joint and. Feeling great.I don’t get craving but I can surely tell you that I’ve lost a lot in four years.I’m just glad that,that phase of my life is over now.what I’m doing is experiencing withdrawal symptoms now,a flu that’s been persistant,I was beginning to get worried is how I found this site and its been good reading other comments.getting high is no good for anybody.you don’t ever give up getting back to your normal self ever.

• Levi August 12, 2014, 10:37 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your story. I am 27 and have been smoking pot off and for 16 years. I have always used pot to help numb the pain I felt inside. For a long time I could not see anything wrong with smoking and I really thought it helped with my depression and pain I felt. Now though every time I some I just become extremely anxious and just have feelings of hate towards myself because I know it controls me and not the other way around. One of the hardest things I’ve had with quitting smoking is the fact that I felt like I had no where to go for help since everyone I know smokes and people think you are crazy when you tell them that you are addicted to pot since many people think you can’t be addicted to it. I feel like it has ruined and controlled my life for too long and have been trying to stop for a while now. I normally make it about a week, I start to think about it like crazy and end up always convincing myself that I will feel better if I just take a couple hits, but it just numbs me for a couple minutes and then I just start to feel worse. It has been 5 days since I last smoked and was starting to think about smoking some to help me fall asleep since I can’t seem to really sleep right now. After reading everyone’s post though it has given me the strength to push my urges down and hopefully kick this vice for good. Thank you everyone for your post because it made me feel like I wasn’t the only one out there dealing with this problem which I sometimes feel like.

• unhighme August 14, 2014, 6:13 pm

About 2 days with no pot. Smoked every day for the past four years. Very irritated , not sleeping or eating, and not used to being sober. I’m quitting because I have a $400-$500 a month habit and would like t0 use money to fix up my home. My bday is next week, but I’m dreading the day it comes because I know friends will want me to celebrate and puff the magic dragon. I am a strong person, but damn this is tough.

• Max August 21, 2014, 3:26 pm

My name is max and I smoked pot for 6 years, every single day….. I am 4 days sober and I feel like killing myself. I know it’s just the withdraw but it’s so strong. I just moved away from my friends and family for school and a job, which has intensified the symptoms. These post truly made me feel not alone. Now I can’t wait to see how I feel in a month. I am feeling everything you guys described, but I know there will be sunny skies when the fog is cleared. Thank you.

• shania August 22, 2014, 7:13 pm

I’ve stopped for 2.days now and man dose my body ach I’m only 18 and have smoke since I was 13 when detoxing dose it body hurt can someone help me

• Zoya August 25, 2014, 8:42 am

:cry: Somebody plz help me quit…

• Mandy August 25, 2014, 8:51 pm

Hi everyone,
    I’m just starting, day one. :/
    I started when I was 15/16, 21 now. I really got heavily into it (3 years ago) because of a guy I was dating, weed was his life. I ended things with him about a year and a half ago in, lets just say… a really traumatic way. Since then I have continued to smoke on a daily basis. Yesterday I went for a walk and had a joint along the way (not an uncommon thing) and heard people talking about me and following me… long story short I called a good friend to come help me. However, instead of a “omg, are you okay” I got a “you are so stoned, I don’t think people were actually following you” kind of attitude. I am quitting mostly to save my relationship with my friend and parents. In my mind I am sure that there were actually boys following me but my parents and friends believe differently. I guess I’m just wondering if something like this has ever happened to any of you?? Any major hallucinatinations? It really kills that they don’t believe me, but it’s making me completely confused and thinking I’m crazy….. please help.!

• Dave August 30, 2014, 5:18 pm

I have been smoking weed regularly for 30+ years. I originally started smoking weed to wean myself off booze. It was successful in that I haven’t had a drink since 1982. I live in Washington state, where MJ is legal for both medical, and recreational users. I still have to drive 50 miles to hook up, as I live in a dry county where there are no medical dispensary’s, or recreational shops. I decided to hang this addiction up. I have been pot free for about 3 weeks now, and have no problem with the appetite or eating. I am having real bad insomnia, run down feeling, ringing in the ears, pressure changes in the ears, like in an airplane when you’re coming in for a landing. And when I do sleep I have vivid dreams. Weird dreams. I have experienced these symptoms a couple years ago when I tried to quit. I’m going to hang in there this time, and hope it passes. I’ll be good to be free of the monkey on my back. I just have to quit feeding him bananas.

• Moe September 3, 2014, 6:26 am

Hi…I’m 32 and I started smoking when I was 18, but didn’t smoke regularly until I was 22-23. In those ten years I would take breaks, but for the past four years I smoked everyday. I quit 9 days ago because I felt my life was heading nowhere and I’m plagued by all the withdrawal symptoms listed. I have no motivation, no hunger, and very strange dreams that wake me up in the middle of the night. I have sweaty palms everyday and I sweat every night before I go to bed. The anxiety is worst in the mornings and evenings and I also feel paranoid much of the time. The cravings lessened after day 5 however. I hope I feel better soon. To all the young folks: quit now before you end up like me.

• rude September 7, 2014, 1:02 am

experiencing all those symptoms, insomnia,vivid dreams ,flu like symptoms, ears aches,42yrs old been smoking since i was 13.smoking daily since 17 after i lost my mom,cost me friends family as i didnt like being around folks due to the paranoia.led a hermitt lifesytle.had 2 kids at 21 yrs of age,swore i was gonna be a great dad but weed kept me from many if not all social events.wish i could turn back the clock,but i cant.i wish i wouldve stopped smoking long ago.have missed many great career opportunities.life has actually been like a hazy dream,glad to be part of reality once again. as to te girlwho thought she was being followed by some boys while walking and smoking a joint,she probably was,maybe they just wanted to get stoned with you.but also theres a saying “she smokes she pokes”.men tend to think women who smoke are permiscuos.so be careful out there ladies.peace

• Billy September 8, 2014, 8:33 am

Hello. I have been smoking for about 4 years now, the last 2 years being everyday, multiple times a day. I got sick of working 2 jobs so that I could spend a large portion of my earnings on pot, so I gave it up. Easier said than done lemme tell ya. I am on day 8 of no Mary J and I feel like crap! Some anxiety, nausea/loss of appetite (was on an empty stomach and had to force myself to eat and almost threw up my meal), little bit of dizziness, and just an overall sick feeling. I am only 20 years old and been going to the gym to work out everyday, and was very active with friends and sports. Since I stopped smoking I have felt very tired. I have not worked out since I stopped smoking because I simply do not have the energy. I just don’t feel like the healthy and young kid I was before. I cannot go back to pot so i’ll make it, but quitting really does suck. If I had known it would be like this, I definitely wouldn’t have gotten into it as heavily as I did. Hopefully someone learns something from my experiences as a youngen.

• SeanBrady September 9, 2014, 5:42 am

I am on day twenty five of stopping smoking. I have smoked almost every day for 23 years. I stopped for financial reasons initially but soon realised that this was my chance to finally get rid of this addiction. The first 10 days was hell really. Anger, insomnia, loss of appetite etc. The next 10 were easier, and the last five easier still. I still get the cravings to smoke it at some point every day but it only last 20 minutes or so and then I’m ok. The first ten days or so I watched alot of videos on youtube. Seb Grant has some very good ones that I recomend people who are struggling with weed to watch. I also bought some high cocoa content chocolate(85%) and slowly eat a couple of pieces when the cravings are really strong. this really seems to help me alot. (and it tastes great) I also take long walks and cycle and make sure that I eat 3 meals a day(I’m always hungry these days!). This has also helped big style. If you can, come clean with your doctor, admit that you’re powerless over weed and get some professional help. It is out there, but you have to take the first step. Be brave, stay strong. It does get easier. Hope this helps. Sean

• Drew September 10, 2014, 9:46 am

Seriously? Y’all are a bunch of whiny babies. I have smoked herb for 15 years, many times daily when I am doing it, and not at all when I need to clean up for whatever reason–this time it is to pass a physical and get life insurance.

I’ve never experienced any of the “withdrawal” symptoms that y’all are talking about. Likely because MARIJUANA IS NOT PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE. If you are experiencing these issues, you should probably visit a doctor as there may be a more serious underlying condition that you were “self-medicating” with the dope. For example, pot is known to help with anxiety, so if you experience anxiety after you quit it is likely that you have an anxiety disorder that the pot was, but is no longer, helping.

• jay September 10, 2014, 1:46 pm

When will all these symptoms be over with im on day 10 i have quit last year around a week before 420 but this withdrawl feel like it being prolonged hearing some your stories motivates me cuz i started at 19 but picked up heavy blunts at 23 just turned 25 and stopped last week when the symptoms end please help and thanks alot for sharing your positive stories just help to tell me how to get over these symptoms besides eating healthy and exercising. Like i’ve been doing thanks my people…..

• Laura September 10, 2014, 11:34 pm

So I’m on my third day of no smoking and it sucks. This is my third time to “quit” within the past two months after a solid 3 years now being a heavy smoker. I can’t sleep or eat at all. I feel like I’m doing worse at work because of anxiety. I am a cigarette smoker as well and I smoke way more cigarettes without weed. Normally I don’t like smoKing cigarettes when I’m high. I do like the weight loss but at the same time I feel weak on days I don’t eat. Anyone have any helpful tips to get through this easier so I don’t just give up and start again?

• Will September 18, 2014, 6:45 pm

I’m only 17 but I’ve been smoking weed for about 2 years, and for the last year everyday. I was forced to quit for a week when I went on a family holiday and experienced all the symptoms listed, despite only having been a heavy weed smoker for a year compared to 16 like some of you. I honestly from about day 2 would have moments of anger over the stupidest things, I felt depressed, not all the time but mainly when laying in my hotel room alone at night unable to sleep while sweating ridiculously. It’s like I was constantly thinking about every little thing I was doing, always hearing my voice in my head. Even getting angry at myself in my head, asking myself what the hell is wrong with me while staring my reflection in the face. I had read about weed withdrawal, so put it down to that, but when it got as bad as it did I did think it could be something a lot worse and I was getting worried. Then I got back from holiday, everything felt weird, not just weird but different everything everyone seemed different. Then my mate had weed so I forgot about that and smoked like 10 bongs and passed out, tolerance had taken a big hit in the time I was away. The next morning I realised.. weed isn’t fun anymore, I get no enjoyment from it, it controls me. So I picked my best mate up, said I had a surprise and drove him to our local park. I took out my bong, took out the bangers I had been given and smashed that thing into millions of pieces. That was my way of telling myself enough was enough It ends here. About two days after this the withdrawal symptoms and the feeling of everything being weird and different dissapeared, I all of a sudden wanted to see all my old high school friends who I hadn’t seen in a while.. I was a lot more talkative with everyone especially my family. I’ve got back into playing football (soccer), I generally feel much much more happy, and I feel like I’m heading somewhere rather than stuck in the same routine of smoking weed being my whole life. I don’t want nobody thinking I’m hating on the stuff, my first summer of smoking is still by far and away the best I’ve had, but we grow, we adapt, we change. I still smoke now, 1 or twice a month, but the difference is; I have to spend less when I do get it because i need less to get me high, I get it hardly ever aswell, and the high is that giggly funny feeling again now, and I love the fact my mates who continued smoking still can’t rip a bong as big as a part time smoker like me. Saving £120-150 a week helps a lot aswell.

• k September 23, 2014, 7:57 pm

on day 2. feeling miserable, cant sleep and way to lazy. Been smoking since 18 and im 24 now. before weed on the basketball team, had a girlfriend, great group of friends and just got into college. 6 years later im unemployed, single, dropped out of college and live at home with my mom. Plus i live in seattle where smoking a joint is considered the same thing as drinking a beer. just trying to get my life back before i waste nemore time. Best of luck to everyone going through this battle with me. we can all beat this together.

• Regina September 26, 2014, 12:12 am

I too have quit weed after smoking on and off for 20 years. I have smoked every day for the last three years since my Mam died. I am clean for the last 11 days.
    The withdrawals have not been so bad this time, I am taking L’theanine and amino acid and it really helps. Also fish oil and high vitimin c. My sleeping is still weird and i have not started to dream yet. Appetite is improving. Keep at it you guys, we know our lives were going no where smoking every day. Seeing less and less people.
    We can do this, get the money off our back. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. PS to the person who said we are all whimps, everyone is different, 10 % of people dont get withdrawal the other 90% do. So be patient with us ;-)

• Carrie September 28, 2014, 1:53 pm

Day 6 of quitting cold turkey. Started smoking at 16( am 36 now) and used pretty regularly, had some years of being sober off and on but the last 6 years I have been a daily user, smoking constantly. I quit mostly due to the money and the eating (seriously impossible for me to lose weight while smoking) plus I am looking to make a job change and I need the motivation to do so.
    Today and yesterday I broke down in tears for no reason. I suffer from anxiety and a bit of depression anyway, but damn, being without my best friend Mary during the weekend was pretty lonely. I’m a bit of an introvert and weed kind of kept me more isolated as I smoked mostly by myself. I have never been so bored in my entire life. Hope it gets better soon.

• Madison September 30, 2014, 1:51 pm

I never thought I would say that weed is addictive and harmful. but it is. I had an anxiety attack a couple nights ago while I was stoned. I have been smoking weed for 6 years and have been addicted to it for 2. I have never expirenced an anxiety Attack before. I went home to my parents and they think that i had the anxiety attack to tell my body enough is enough with the weed. So that following day I quit smoking weed. boy I had no idea just how addictive and dependent my body was for the mary j. The first day of being sober I was imediently ran over the “withdrawals bus”. Anxiety right away. So bad that I had to go to the hospital to get a pill that calms extreme anxiety. Also this is only my fourth day sober writing this and I have yet to eat. I’ve tried and if I put anything near or in my mouth audimarically gag. Also, troubles sleeping is a huge one because I would smoke that fat bong right before bed. Melatonin helps and also the new anxiety meds they have me on for my withdrAwls make me sleepy. I would love you know when I can eat again as I am very very weak. On my second day of withdrAwls I also started getting very emotional. Crying all the time. Wondering why me why would I do this to my body if only i knew this is how you felt without but I never gave it the chance. I would wake up smoke 2 bongs… Head to work. Smoke 3 bongs on my lunch break then smoked another before I went anywhere after work and then continued to until bedtime. Admitting all of this now I don’t know how I saw past how unhealthy and how not normal it really is. Everytime I wanted to smoke a bong or thinking about it gave me an anxious feeling in my stomach until I smoked it I would feel relief. So in the long run, I used marijuna to treat my anxiety without actually knowing this. This is why I am so depended and addiction to it. I’m on my 3rd day clean and don’t ever plan on putting my body through this Agian. The cold and hot sweats the thoughts that your actually crazy the pooing non stop stomach vile and nausea. Not worth it. Would do anything to be happy and healthy right now but it’s a working progress.

I used to think weed wasn’t addictive and harmless.
    There are many harmful things about weed, especially if
    You were a heavy smoker such as myself.
    Having your body depended on any drug is extremely unhealthy.
    This is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through but I will never do this to my body AGIAN. If you can casual smoke all the power to you, becareful how much you are smoking and weather you are enjoying it or abusing it.

• Paul October 7, 2014, 12:58 am

Hi My name is Paul. I am 34 years old and smoke a one hitter mabey 60-80 times a day since I was 13. My woman called it my “crack pipe” cause I was NEVER without it hanging out of my mouth. I smoked ciggs too, but the pot was more important. I want to point out that the pot we have now is 100 times if not more potent than schwagg. So it will be a little harder to quit. A quarter ounce a week does not seem like a lot, just a gram a day, but when smoked out of a one hitter, your not wasting a drop, and it actually amounts to about 60-80 puffs a day. I am on day three of quitting now. Last time I tried was 9 years ago and I was on Vicodin, (another addiction I previously conquered, If you need help on that one let me know cause I don’t know anyone that did it like me and succeeded.) So I did not really feel the withdraw of the weed that time. The Vicodin withdraws a little later were the worst thing I ever went thru. The leg kicking and inability to sleep AT ALL in a week sucked. But as for weed withdraws, I am on day three, cant sleep(nyquil helps a bit dont take too much and not more than a day or two cause its addicting too.) but the worst thing is the craving. I have ringing ears and a headache that does not go away. I do NOT want to hear any pussy talk about being powerless. THAT IS PURE BULLSHIT taking the REAL responsibility from yourself. IT IS YOUR CHOICE, none elses, so NONE of that talk. A higher power does not make you powerless because any higher power would want you to take responsibility for your choices, and make the right one. a DISEASE, is not a choice, you dont choose to get the flu, cancer, or aids. So man up, shove some food down your throat(cause its hard to eat) gain some new hobbies, pray for strength, and DEFINITELY find friends that do not smoke pot. Actually the best friends to find are X addicts for they can help. God bless, hope this helped.

• John October 8, 2014, 12:59 am

THello to all, let me first say that ALL of these stories are the biggest help to me. I am a 35 yr old male who has smoked everyday for 16 yrs…unreal I know. I am on day 22 of quitting and have gone thru some unbearable symptoms…loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach pain, constipation, diarreah (sorry to be graphic), mood swings to the max, very vivid dreams,….I used the weed to cope with a lot of stressful issues in my life and it got out of control and became my crutch..i couldn’t do anything without getting high first. I had totally convinced myself that I had to do it before anything I did. it cost me my life as I am now living back home with my parents and that in itself is a nightmare.. I lost my job, girlfriend(S) and even a couple of close friends I had for 20+ yrs…I only quit 22 days ago because I have to find a job and get the hell outta here…but, in quitting it has opened my eyes to want to be the person I was before I started. I had dreams and goals I threw away just to get high. I never touched the stuff in high school as I was an athlete who played 3 sports..I just want my life back. I know I won’t be able to accomplish all that I wanted to years ago but feel that even 35 isn’t that old…I know I have a lot of work ahead of me just to have a somewhat normal life but feel that it will be worth it…I had to post my story in hopes that somebody out there will read it and choose to never use weed again. It really can destroy your life if you let it…Thank you again to all of you for the extremely brave posts on the subject. I will never use again. and you all helped me make that decision. God Bless all of you.

• Will October 8, 2014, 1:04 am

I can spam loads of stuff on here :cool:

• Will October 8, 2014, 1:05 am

• Will October 8, 2014, 1:13 am

If only feet smelled like flowers instead of funk.
    © RusN/iStock/Thinkstock
    ADS BY GOOGLE
    {Blue Beards Revenge}
    Finest Shave, Quality Products. Low Prices, Fast Delivery
    Beauty Samples – Free
    Try Top of the Line Skin Products. Apply Now for Free Samples.
    lifestylebeautytipz.com/ukskin
    Models Wanted – Age 12-29
    UK’s No. 1 Modelling Academy. Join online for free!
    londonschoolofmodelling.com
    Everybody’s familiar with stinky feet. Most of us have a friend or relative — or maybe it’s you — who can clear out a room when they kick off their shoes. Even the sweetest-smelling person can do a decent job stinking up a pair of shoes by running a few miles in them. So what’s going on here? Why do your feet have a stronger odor than, say, the palms of your hands, or other parts of your body? After all, isn’t body odor about sweat?
    Eau de foot is about sweat, yes. A stinky foot may also be a sweaty foot. Each of your feet has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, and 19 muscles — and as a pair your feet have 250,000 sweat glands that make about one cup (about half a pint) of sweat every day. That means your feet produce more sweat per square inch of skin than any other part of your body [sources: Foot.com, Brawley]. But most of the time sweat itself actually isn’t the problem, at least not when it comes to the kind of sweat you find on your feet. You see, there are two types of sweat glands on your body: apocrine glands and eccrine glands. Apocrine glands are found near hair follicles (so you’ll find them in abundance on your scalp and in your armpits, as well as the groin region). The sweat they secrete — a yellowish, thick fluid — happens in response to stresses. Body odor is the byproduct of bacteria on your skin digesting the sweat produced by apocrine glands. But there are no apocrine glands on your feet.
    Eccrine glands, on the other hand, are located in the skin all over your body, including your feet. This sweat is intended to cool you down. On its own, the sweat produced by the eccrine glands on the soles of your feet is pretty much just water and salt, and really doesn’t have any odor at all.
    It’s bacteria that’s the real culprit behind foot odor; well, that and whether or not you wear socks.

• Will2 October 8, 2014, 1:18 am

Just email me and inform when you’ve removed them all

• Kaitlyn October 8, 2014, 12:50 pm

i am 19 years old. For about four months now i had been smoking from when i wake up till i go to bed. i stopped four days ago and my body is withdrawing heavily. insomnia 6 hours of sleep past four days. No appitiete at all. i eat anything i get nausous or throw it up. im constantly hot sweating and getting dizzy. ive passed out twice. mood swings like crazy!!! headaches everyday.. I am not anorexic or anything i weight 105 normally. I am tiny! ive lost 6 pounds..

• JR October 10, 2014, 7:58 pm

I am trying to kick my 18 year old habit. I started smoking at 16 and now at 32 I am quitting, again. I have been attempting to quit for at least 2 years now but it always draws me back in. Living in SoCal its as easy to get as a can of soda. I know growers and clinics around the city so it has been very difficult. Finally I’ve worked myself up into quitting for health reasons and freaked myself out that i’m killing myself. I went on a trip w my wife and got a head start. So I am about 18 days in with only hitting twice in that time. For me, this is a major accomplishment. The anxiety is serious for me, I keep getting worked up into something seriously being wrong with me and that I’m sick. I have never been a paranoid person until this shit and my initial workup into quitting for good. I hate going to AA or MA type meetings. My friends that know I smoke either smoke also or don’t see any reason to quit since I appear successful and to have a good life on the outside. Then again friends and co-workers that don’t know I can’t talk to about either due to damaging business relationships. My wife is my primary support. In reading online about issues coming off I found these comments. I am so glad I found this particular page because I see others here that have smoked a long time like I have and see a lot of the same issues. I feel super tired and week like i’m getting the flu. I have some issues sleeping, but I have felt this before and no big deal.. The dreams are super crazy some nights and other nights nothing. I have end of the world type dreams which I read someone else had also, so comforting, i thought it was because i was going to die. Last night a nuke exploding and wiping out my neighborhood woke me up, and I was drenched in sweat. I am constantly stressing that I have some type of cancer but I think thats starting to fade. I have a REALLY hard time keeping focus at work, my job requires extended periods of focused time. I am irritable and have to watch myself from going off on employees. I am not hungry , almost at all. I feel physically sick sometimes and also get dizzy a lot. I see weird things with my eyes like outside of the center everything gets “wavy”. Most of these things are starting to go lessen and hopefully go away. Now the hardest part I believe will be life without. I am used to not feeling emotion in the same way, no fear, no sadness, no worries, no anything so for the first time in a long time I am feeling that stuff in full force and not dulled. Anyway I hope to find a forum because this type of thing seems to be helping.

• alan October 12, 2014, 1:29 am

hi iv being smoking for the last 5 years and i gave up 4 days ago i think im going mad my heart beats faster my thought s are bad my sleep is not great the worst is fear of being normal my arms are shaking all this happens and it gos when it go i feel great and them it comes back is this normal from the weed it s my thought s is the worst is this normal from giving up weed

• aury October 12, 2014, 9:00 pm

:shock: after 4yrs of heavy daily smoking im on my 2nd day f not smoking I hqve had this headache for two days get dizzy light hheaded and nauseous. ..I feel sad then happy tired and rreally sleepy, id like to know if anyobe has advice on how to make myself feel better please help !!

• Rbrad October 14, 2014, 3:34 pm

Im just 20 yrs old right now i start smoking at 15 , and like 3 yrs ago start smoking blunts regularly with my pals e I used to smoke a lot now im quitting and is hard but i just want my life back and feel with hope to accomplish mu dreams weed can fuck your brain right now day 3 and experiencing all of those symptoms but at the same time I feel great because i have too much waiting for me or at least thats why I think

• nomorebud October 15, 2014, 8:16 pm

This is my first day quitting in 14 years. I use to smoke 4 to 5 times a day. Its a 500 dollars a month habit for me. Im just tired of smoking and tired of its down fall. I am nauseous is ever right now and im hot one min cold the next. Im drinking hot Tea everytime I want to smoke. It helps a little. I will be pround when im totally weed free mentally and physically. Good luck to all. We can do this!!!!!

• Nofoodnosleep:( October 29, 2014, 12:21 am

I have smoked off and on for ten years mainly because I prefer to do that than take pharmaceuticals for anxiety and insomnia plus I have eating issues but because I need a job I am quitting for now.. I’ve smoked the past two years daily and this time quitting is harder than any of the other times I’ve taken a break. Generally it’s the mental obsession I have to defeat but now the physical symptoms like I can’t sleep even though I am super tired and my appetite is nonexistent as well as my anxiety through the roof not to mention a headache and an all over clamy feeling. It sucks. Priorities tsk tsk

• BronzGonz45 October 29, 2014, 4:44 pm

Im 24 years old ive been blazing off and on since I was about 15. I became a every day smoker since I was 18. In my teens I was in deep depression, and I like to believe that the herb brought me outta it. It did making me content, too content. No need for ambition, I was fine with settling for less. Time goes by and as the world passes by all u got is to hope it gets u high. Thats when the gateway opens and its all down hill from there. To say weed isnt a gateway drug is foolish. It doesnt help coming from a bloodline of addicts. Im proud to say I dont use hardcore drugs no more, but to compensate I stay high off bud. I havent blazed for about 6 days. Ive lost my appetite, I feel nauseous after taking a bite of anything, no vivid dreams tho. But one thing I havent heard mentioned yet and I wonder if its just me but outta no where I smell some dank weed smell, its so strange lol. i wont lie tho weed man just came thru as i was writing this. This bowl is too us. Cheers.

• KELLY BALDWIN October 31, 2014, 3:31 am

Ive quit marijana for roughly 4 wks…. The sweats started a week ago… & They are the only thing other than the cravings that bother me… The sweats is by far the worst…& any idiot who tells you marijana isnt addictive…. Is addicted & cant quit it for life themselves!! all these things you go through are worth it…. I have been feeling so clear in the head these last two weeks its amazing….. Yes i wanna die from the sweats right now…but it wont last long… & Just think how much i will save when ive quit ciggys 2!! the hardest part is not to increase yr ciggy smoking!!!

• Stay Peachy October 31, 2014, 7:10 pm

im 45 year old woman and have been smoking ssince i was 15 the habit grew with me i did extend to speed then heroin i went through nasty withdrawls for heroin but never kicked my pot habit the last 15 years i would smoke from 2 pipes up to 85 pipes a day. in the last four years i have had massive life changes and finally i couldnt afford my habit anymore on the 22 of september i started withdrawls its the 1st novemeber today and i have had two relapses one on a joint of leaf yuk and on 2 pipes of hydro both knocked me out and the hydro i thought i was going to die and i used to smoke so much before i was shocked. funny i hated the feeling and am determined to be a straighty. i had the awful dreams so real and the sweats and the cold feelings i had the emotional turmoil anxiety crying anger as well i had the lack of eating but in the last week i feel so hungry all the time and now im painfully constipated.will actually visit doc about this one. the withdrawl isnt up their with heroin thats hell but pot is definintely addictive. i just want whoever reads this to know you will beat it if you slip back just start again i cant believe how confident i feel and how motivated i am funny i used to use pot for these feelings one upon time but then it became my jailer oh and the money its nice to have the money. you can do it!! im giving up the ciggys next mm well soon anyway !! im am new woman!!! all the best to you YOU CAN DO IT

• adam November 5, 2014, 5:24 pm

Hello I’m 16 and I’ve been smoking for about 6 years and all I smoke is blunts. I’ve been sober 3 days and I been havin diarrhea, anxiouty I’ve been very sad and depressed is this symptoms. Of stopping or am I sick please let me know

• Ettienne November 7, 2014, 5:50 am

Smoked my first joint when I was 15, I’m 30 now and have been clean for 5 days now. I was also like the one idiot on here, “marijuana is not addictive, you’re all pussies”. What an idiot I was. It’s tough. I’ve smoked a LOOOOOT over the years, every day at least 5 times a day (work from home, comfy, right?). My mom recently (August) got diagnosed with cancer and got told she’s got 5 years to live if she’s lucky. I’ve also quit cigarettes 6 days ago so I’m going through absolute hell at the moment, sitting here with my sweaty palms feeling like I could kill someone. My girlfriend of 4 years found out she’s pregnant about 3 weeks ago and I’ve just been a total asshole lately and decided that enough is enough.

Here I go, I want to quit this crap as much as I love it. My business is going downhill, I’m on the verge of losing the most perfect girl, as well as my mom. I tend to distance myself from everyone and that needs to stop. I feel so hopeless, and even though I have a ton of great friends it feels like I’m all alone.

Constant anger, sadness, depression, more anger, irritation, anxiety, insomnia. All of this is very real at the moment. I’m just hoping it would end soon because it’s Friday today and after being a total ass to my girlfriend I feel a huge urge to go buy some, but I won’t. Not this time. Thanks for all your stories guys, it helps a lot knowing that there are a bunch of you going though the same shit. Time to stop being lazy and get on with life, be the person I know I can be and be the best dad/partner and son I could possibly be. Time to stop thinking only about myself and get my act together.

As a musician it’s not going to be easy, but my mindset is right and I now know that I have a problem, and that this addiction is very real indeed. The anger scares me, it’s so bad I feel like I can’t control it. It’s like hitting puberty all over again, haha, and we all know how much that sucked. Anyway, wish me luck!

• Lulu November 11, 2014, 8:59 pm

Hi everyone. I’m 40 years old and have been smoking for 2 years (daily). For me it was a great way to end a long day and relax. I suffered from chronic insomnia for over 10 years. Smoking every night definitely help me and for a long time I felt it was a life saver. I’m a corporate professional, love my job and have a great family. I’m a pretty well balanced person and after two years it’s time for me to ease up on the smoking. I noticed my hair falling out (lots of mixed theories that THC causes hair loss but it did happen to me). I guess too much of anything is not good for us. Well I’m 7 days off the smoking and it’s harder than I expected. The first withdrawal symptom I experienced was nightmares. Like evil demons trying to chase me. Every other night I’m experiencing vivid, detailed, disturbing dreams that scare the crap out of me. In one dream I was eating an edible brownie in a room full of ghosts. So weird and random. Now i’m feeling anxious, random negative thoughts, nervousness, restlessness and I’m kinda of paranoid. At work I’m having a hard time concentrating. I’ll start an email and then completely forget who I’m emailing. And it takes me a minute or two to gather my thoughts. The only thing that hasn’t changed (yet) is my eating habits. I love food so I hope I don’t lose my appetite. I think if you are experiencing any kind of symptom it’s good to just talk to someone. Get it off your chest and just vent. Even if its through a forum like this . My plan to get through this is to keep myself active, exercise, , mediate, pray, eat well, talk to a friend when I’m feeling emotional and just keep reminding myself that everyday will get better, everyday free of smoking is just one day closer to being healthier. Good luck everyone – I’ll keep all in my prayers!

• Ex stoner November 14, 2014, 6:02 pm

Just 9 days off the weed after 36 years, I was marijuana’a bitch. Too much regret to continue. Been using alcohol to reduce withdrawal, that ends tomorrow. THC withdrawal seems to be abating. Anyone else use alcohol as temporary crutch?

• Jen November 15, 2014, 3:48 pm

Not looking to quit, just to cut down, on everything for that matter. I don’t really have a reason to, just don’t have the desire to smoke as much. I went from like 6 or 7 bowls a day to like once a day, sometimes not for 2 days. Drinking was no problem, weed is a bit easier, but I still usually smoke a little bowl at the end of the day or at a parties I indulge. Coffee is the worst. Headaches galore! How is the thing most easily accessible has the worst withdrawal symptoms.

• Rudeboy November 20, 2014, 5:01 pm

Hey y’all, been smoking for 15 yrs. I’m 34 and used to be athletic and artistic when I was a teen, till I started smoking. And it all went away, and now I have no job. Stopped already to better myself and for the good of my daughter and wife. It will be a long process, but it is worth it just to make money again for my family. They really need the real me, not a delusional person that I was starting to be. To those who think smoking a good, YOUR WRONG!!