Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms – What Marijuana Detox is Like

Are you trying to quit and going through Marijuana withdrawal?

You are not alone. Many heavy weed smokers go through some form of withdrawal when they haven’t smoked recently. This page describes the physical and psychological symptoms of withdrawal from marijuana. I should know – I smoked weed for close to 10 years before I learned how to kick my addiction to marijuana. Knowing what to expect will help you succeed!

How Long Does Marijuana Withdrawal Take?

Most people who experience marijuana withdrawal symptoms get them between the second and tenth day of quitting weed. Symptoms can last for up to a month in some people. The most intense withdrawal period will be the first week to ten days after you quit smoking marijuana. Different symptoms will resolve themselves at different rates.

Remember that each day the negative symptoms will decrease until you are physically and mentally free from THC! When you know what to expect, you will be well equipped to deal with it!

Marijuana Withdrawal Anxiety

The most common symptom of withdrawal is a low grade anxiety. Although not severe, this feeling is not easily remedied by through distraction or just thinking happy thoughts. In my opinion, the anxiety felt when detoxing from weed is a combination of fear of being sober, and desire to return to a stoned state of mind. It’s almost like your mind is saying “Things aren’t normal, I don’t like this new state”. As you become accustomed to not smoking and the new state of mind, the anxiety will fade.\

Insomnia, Sleeping, and Dreaming

Whenever I quit smoking weed, I would always have disturbances in my sleep. In the beginning the insomnia can be quite severe. The worst for me was about 4 hours sleep in 60 hours. I have heard of some people sleeping less than 5 hours every night, but the worst of the insomnia symptoms tend to disappear about a week after quitting.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.

Change of Appetite and Weight Loss

Another common marijuana detox symptom is the lack of an appetite. I have met a couple people who need to smoke before they eat. When they quit smoking, they don’t have the desire to eat. It’s almost like they needed the munchies to eat food.Let’s face it, marijuana withdrawal stresses the body out, and when you get stressed, you can lose your appetite and lose weight. The weight loss has got to be the best benefit of detox!

Cures for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms

The best cure for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms is time and patience. Having a plan to get through the withdrawal and avoid relapse is also one the keys in learning how to quit smoking marijuana. One thing that really helped me get through the withdrawal and cravings was the Cannabis Coach Easy Quit Audio series by Gary Evans. It guided me through first couple of weeks and gave me exercises to remove some of the stress from quitting.

Click Here for the Cannabis Coach Easy Quit Audio Program

{ 942 comments… add one }

• Donna Taylor January 20, 2014, 1:40 am

It has been right at 8 weeks since I have smoked except for about 2 weeks ago I did take a few hits off my friends joint she rolled and brought out to a camp fire where everyone was sitting around, right after I took the first hit I was pissed at myself, then I took a couple more and told myself that I had went several weeks (wasn’t hurting in my chest as bad and wasn’t coughing up resin out of my lungs ) that I had made a huge mistake, but I love how I feel so much when I do it and alcohol is no comparison. So the next day my throat kind of hurt and when I coughed my chest felt pressure, and the dreams started back full force. Like the person said above that they are not going to say they are quitting, I think it makes me feel like a failure if I tell someone Im quitting and really don’t but I do like how I function more in life and at work instead of dragging around and not getting stuff done plus when I smoke I love sweet tea and drink and pee a million times a day. This way I don’t get hungry late at night like I used to but still have nightmares and my joints hurt still too (like my right knee especially) when im sleeping like I cant get settled. Ive been drinking lots of water to clean out my system and I hate water but getting more used to it. If someone has any more tricks to steer a person away from loving the feeling of getting high, please let me know @ lov4singin@yahoo.com I know the smoke is bad for peoples lungs I need THC pills to fulfill my needs but really don’t need anything but prayers to stop for good. When I start back I always tell myself im just going to do this every once in awhile, but instead I go back doing it big time. I love reading all your post of ideas and how you feel so please keep them coming. I read this forum periodically

• sparks January 21, 2014, 2:32 am

I am a 33 year old male and have been smoking daily (heavily) only before bed. I would smoke approx. a quarter oz in 3 to 4 weeks for about 2 to 2.5 years, Would smoke occasionally during the day but only if I had nothing to do. Today is day number 2 and here I am wide awake but feeling tired at 227am. I fall asleep fine but wake up multiple times a night with cold sweats and just a general feeling of nausea and just not feeling comfortable. I am a business owner and can not go on like this without getting some good REM sleep. Any help to ease the pain would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Eric woieby January 22, 2014, 12:36 am

I’ve been sober for about 8 days now and finally quitting smoking pot. I was an every day user and I’ve just had the worst anxiety and sleeping problems during my withdraw lately. I started biking more often and riding my skateboard and excercise seemed to help with the withdrawal. It cleared my mind and it made me feel strong, I hope all of you can make it without relapsing ^°^ cheers.

• D. January 22, 2014, 5:00 pm

Shit i’ve only smoked like 8 months but I’ve had enough. I tried to quit once i noticed depersonalization. I kept on smoking for another month until I stopped. Now I’ve been sober for 5 days and have felt insomnia, depersonalization, and lack of concentration. Hopefully this will go away soon. Ik i’m not a hardcore smoker like all those guys that smoked like 20 years or some shit, but I have low tolerance and shit. This blows! :x

• john January 23, 2014, 6:40 pm

I’ve tried quitting many times. I’m 22 and have smoked since 8th grade. I then realized that all my symptoms of withdrawal could be cured by smoking again. I figure weed makes me happy and anything that can’t handle that doesn’t need to be a part of my life. As long as I have a job, and take care of my loved ones I don’t see why it matters. It’s soon to be legal anyway!:p

• Sierra January 24, 2014, 2:32 am

I haven’t been poking for years like everyone else…probably for only 8 months or so…but I decided to stop and now I’m writing this after my first night of trying to sleep after stopping…and I haven’t slept at all all night. Hopefully this doesn’t last too long…is there anything I can do to make the withdrawal easier??

• Thelonious February 3, 2014, 1:56 am

Its been close to 10 days and i was a HEAVY smoker. meaning like ALL DAY EVERYDAY when i didn’t have 2 work. I’m noticing the sleep patterns and my stomach feels weird. But the main thing so far has been the very lucid dreams That seem like nightmares. But the clarity i feel is amazing i feel like i have the old productive me back and i love that feeling. And 2 sierra who says its gonna be legal soon anyway and it’s no big deal. ur like 22 and i said those same things at that age but trust me prolonged smoking turns into a monster that can derail u from ur dreams. Not preaching 2 u but be careful. i also loved smoking but realized that abusing anything has its drawbacks. u may not be able 2 see it now but remember everything u do in life is connected and what seems harmless now wont always be. Just ask the alcoholic i’m sure they started with a few drinks and it was fun to hang out with ur friends and get buzzed but years later u realize all the physical and mental pain that comes with it. Again not preaching just passing along wisdom from someone who’s said those exact words and walked un ur shoe’s. (For whats the point of gaining all this wisdom and not passing it along) To everyone else taking this journey stay strong as i will myself and draw on ur past experiences of things u didn’t think u could make it thru but somehow some way u did. of course quitting something u love 2 do is a challenge but with will power we all can overcome ANYTHING. Also as i writhe this at 2 am after waking from a horrible dream. I would like 2 thank all the others who took the time 2 share their story. I know u posted and probably didn’t think anyone would read ur post or care but u NEVER know who ur helping by sharing ur story. btw this is the first time ive EVER posted on any blog like this in my life. I hope my story can help someone as im drawing strength from other posts. Good night and good luck with the journey. Im pulling for all of u and i know u all are pulling for me as well.
    Sincerely,
    T-Love

• Thelonious February 3, 2014, 1:59 am

Its been close to 10 days and i was a HEAVY smoker. meaning like ALL DAY EVERYDAY when i didn’t have 2 work. I’m noticing the sleep patterns and my stomach feels weird. But the main thing so far has been the very lucid dreams That seem like nightmares. But the clarity i feel is amazing i feel like i have the old productive me back and i love that feeling. And 2 sierra who says its gonna be legal soon anyway and it’s no big deal. ur like 22 and i said those same things at that age but trust me prolonged smoking turns into a monster that can derail u from ur dreams. Not preaching 2 u but be careful. i also loved smoking but realized that abusing anything has its drawbacks. u may not be able 2 see it now but remember everything u do in life is connected and what seems harmless now wont always be. Just ask the alcoholic i’m sure they started with a few drinks and it was fun to hang out with ur friends and get buzzed but years later u realize all the physical and mental pain that comes with it. Again not preaching just passing along wisdom from someone who’s said those exact words and walked un ur shoe’s. (For whats the point of gaining all this wisdom and not passing it along) To everyone else taking this journey stay strong as i will myself and draw on ur past experiences of things u didn’t think u could make it thru but somehow some way u did. of course quitting something u love 2 do is a challenge but with will power we all can overcome ANYTHING. Also as i write this at 2 am after waking from a horrible dream. I would like 2 thank all the others who took the time 2 share their story. I know u posted and probably didn’t think anyone would read ur post or care but u NEVER know who ur helping by sharing ur story. btw this is the first time ive EVER posted on any blog like this in my life. I hope my story can help someone as im drawing strength from other posts. Good night and good luck with the journey. Im pulling for all of u and i know u all are pulling for me as well.
    Sincerely,
    T-Love

• M February 3, 2014, 1:04 pm

I’ve been an on again off again smoker since I separated from the military in 2008 (honorablly, I might add) and recently quit again. I was using 1) because I enjoy the feeling and 2) I broke some ribs in a motorcycle accident and it’s very hard to sleep through the night without it. It’s only been about 4 days. I stopped before for about 8 months. I experience the same symptoms as when I quit smoking cigarettes. Unfortunately, I tend to pick up smoking cigs whenever I smoke pot. I have trouble sleeping and get terrible night sweats. Don’t know if anyone else gets these, but it feels like my body can’t regulate it’s temperature. I’m sure if I just started exercising more, that it would help me sleep. Any other recommendations out there?

• Adam February 3, 2014, 9:44 pm

I have been smoking weed for about two years now. I started sharing a few joints at night when I first got to university. Over time I found myself looking forward to smoking later that night whilst I was studying. I then moved from sharing a spliff to buying pre rolled ones to smoke alone in my room. Then I taught myself to roll and things just got steadily out of control. My first summer out of university and I was smoking in secret every night back home. I moved back to Uni after the summer and found myself smoking £20 worth a day. I missed classes, slept in late and as soon as I woke up I would smoke whatever I had left from the night before. Then I would tell myself no more, this it it. But as soon as the night arrived I would find myself calling my dealer and walking to the store to withdraw the cash. I literally couldn’t understand how I was letting myself give in to weed every day?!
    I have spent a lot of money on weed over the past two years. I have borrowed from my friends to pay for it and lied about what the money was for. I have left essays until the very last day they were due in because I was getting high so much.
    So for anyone who thinks smoking weed isn’t a big deal I would say think again. As a stoner your mind has a clever way of telling you “weed ain’t so bad, why are you worrying so much? Chill out and buy some weed, make a night of it.” You end up so used to smoking it that you can barely remember what life was like without it.
    So for all these reasons I AM going to quit, for my future and for my bank balance! I have not slept at all tonight but I am going to persevere.
    To all of you who are also struggling to rid yourself of weed, I wish you luck, wherever you are in the world. Good luck.

• B February 4, 2014, 1:35 pm

Quitting weed has been so much tougher than i thought….i got locked up for 14 days,and thought that would b a good start..but as soon as i got out it ws right back to puffin. Another night in the pokey,and i am now on once a week piss testing….i smoked for almost 20 years,and i mean the good shit. Today is day 16 without weed,and it has gotten tougher for me. I cannot sleep,all i do is have nightmares,mostly about jail…..i am always hot,and am now convinced that i need professional help…i am not me anymore,and the crazy part is i dont necessarily miss the smokin part…..i just miss the feelin good and happy part….and because of a recent incident i am no longer drinking either….HELP

• B February 4, 2014, 3:10 pm

I have smoked for over 20 years,and recently due to some runins with the law,i have had to stop. Today is day 16,and it is so much harder than i thought it would be…i dont sleep well at all,a couple hours here and there..and the worst part is when i do wake up,i cannot go back to sleep….something weed used to make real easy for me…i am having nightmares,and i seem to always be hot or get cold real easy…..my appetite is not the way it was….i dont miss smoking,just the happy feeling it gave me…..very tough,and due to a recent incident i am now not drinking either….talk about cold turkey!!!! i know its what is best for me, but it very difficult..any tips on how to make it easier??

• George February 5, 2014, 5:55 am

I smoke to relieve chronic pain. I haven’t experienced symptoms of withdrawal when it wasn’t available. Only the return of pain. To those who experience nightmare and anxiety, I don’t believe its from the lack of weed in a way other than those ailments returning from the lack of it. Anything can be overused. Don’t blame the weed. Is ice cream, cookies or other favorite foods dangerous? Its all about responsibility. Inappropriate times to get high is a discipline problem. Drink responsibly, smoke responsibly and eat responsibly. Addictive personalities is a behavior. Alcoholism and drug addiction are serious problems. Sorry, weed is not addictive. If used to escape, escaping is the problem. Just sayin’…

• anthony February 6, 2014, 6:01 am

Today is day 8 although withdrawal is getting easier I still crave
    That feeling of being stonned and its a constant battle to say to my
    Self ( NO YOU CAN DO THIS ) how long will the thc take to be fully
    Out of my system there is no going back for me I just need theese craveings
    To stop. Doing my research on the drug thc I understand it can take up to 90 days for your body to be CLEAN of thc will it take me 90 days to be clean I smoked weed all day every day for the past 4 years

• JP February 11, 2014, 9:02 pm

So let me start off by saying Iam 34 years old and have had a relationship with Marijuana for 20 years straight! And for me to sit here and say that i dont enjoy marijuana would be a bold face lie because the truth of the matter is I do immensly…….My problem stems from the ability to still be able too function with everyday life wheter it be work, gym, or just the daily grind we all deal with….I have been able too maintain the same job for 12 years and have really got myself into pretty good physical shape…..My reasons for wanting to quit, is i started training with a gentlemen who is a highly successful trainer and keeps on asking me when im gonna take the step into the training world with comments like “u fit and look the part” or “your knowledge is far beyond any regular gym member” or “u have the perfect personality” Im afraid to tell him that i know all of this but for me to dip back into the studying world, i am gonna have to put the weed down! Reason im nervous to tell him is because he lives a pretty straight edged life and i fear he will not understand just as to why i have smoked pot for 20 years!!!!! Also my job of 12 years is no longer what it was when i started and unfortunately has made me start looking for other options…..But we all know that in order for me to start studying to be a trainer and start a new job if one comes about, I have to get clean for many reasons! The most important is of course having the ability to pass a urine test without having to worry about if the sythetic urine will work or not? I am too old to have to worry about not being able to pass a urine sample. Also i just recently got into a course on how to get certified, and with that said will have to put in alotta work in order to accomplish this goal! So as i stated earlier i have had a relationship wit weed for 20 years and it wasnt just until 5days ago that i finally decided to man up and kick this habit. But this hasnt been as easy as i always assumed it would be? smh!!! I have slept only 8 hours TOTAL in the last 5 days, i wake up sweating as if im kicking an opiate, my dreams are absolutetly off the charts, i have noticeably lost part of my appetite, and my aniexty is at an all time high!!!! I really wanna beat this addiction but it was almost to a point were it became routine to smoke a blunt before most things i do like go to the gym or work…..I gotta be honest and say for all the withdrawels i am going through the worst by far is my lack of appetite!!!! Before i decided to try too quit i was able to eat 6-7x per day, but the last week im coming home with food i would usually finish while at work….I read that foods such as tomatoes, leafy greens, and bananas are very beneficial due to the loss of potassium we endear while we sweat throughout the night!!!!! I really wanna do this, but i didnt in anyway, shape , or form expected this to be so difficult?????? Am i just weak or just looking for any excuse to roll something and say the hell wit quitting? I guess only time will tell me that but in the meantime if any1 has any tips on how i can catch some zzzzz’s, please let me know! thanks a bunch and good luck to everyone who has made the tough decision on quitting! I know imma need a partial miracle to keep goin on with this sober living but feel if i wanna improve my well being it need to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Laura February 12, 2014, 4:34 pm

My husband has been a very heavy a day pot smoker for probably 23 years. It’s been one week he is and has so much anxiety and is so short tempered and very irrational. I am being supportive and he apologizes but i feel a blow up coming on. I am so proud of him however he is doing this because his job is saying they will start doing mandatory drug testing. He doesn’t drink or take prescription drugs. He is taking melatonin to sleep but wont see a doctor to get some help with his temper. I hope things will get better because honestly we have been together for 21 years and has always smoked. This is like having a whole new person. Its so hard and I’m worried he should see a dr for help. But he wont. Any recommendations ?

• hev February 15, 2014, 9:19 am

:shock: :mrgreen: nyt mare ive been an addict for 26yrs 4days ago a situation arose (health) ive cut it totally out after smoking 1/2ozs a week yes ridiculous i know but feel very physically ill sweats shivers head ache grinding my teeth sleeping of and on thirsty very grumpy shouting a lot and neck ache head ache from hell sweats the list is endless .ile let u know how i do

• ellen February 20, 2014, 1:42 pm

i have been smoking weed for at least ten years on a daily basis. i have severe depression & am bipolar. i take Cymbalta & wellbutrin, but it doesn’t help me as much as weed does. i am still very productive when smoking & i start smoking it around noon, then throughout the day. it takes the edge off & calms me. my problem i guess you could call it is that i do not want to stop. i am terrified of stopping, since it’s the only thing that helps me cope with daily life. what is happening now is that i cannot get it. so many of my sources have been busted, & I’ve given people money to get it for me, then they have disappeared with the money. i usually am able to find some somewhere to get me through, but not this time. nobody has it or can get it, saying that during the winter months sometimes it gets hard to find, although i have always, as i said, been able to get it in the winter. since not smoking for only 2 days, i feel horrible!!!! i can’t sleep at all, my stomach is upset constantly, & have abdominal pains, feel weak & tired & sick all over. i don’t want to do anything except lay around, & if i try to eat it makes me sick. i guess none of those symptoms are really uncommon, but my depression is so much worse & i don’t want to talk to anyone or go anywhere. this is exactly why i don’t want to stop. it’s the only thing that helps me. i also have fibromyalgia & it is worse too. i break out in sweats like I’m burning up & yet get chills like when you have a fever. i know, even if these symptoms decrease as time goes on & i don’t smoke, that i will do it again as soon as i can find some. i just wish there were something that did what weed does for me, but there is not. i appreciate the withdrawl info i have come across here, & it has made me see exactly why i feel so bad. when i started smoking, i was under the false assumption that it was NOT addicting. it is very addicting…at least for me.

• A smoker February 21, 2014, 8:23 pm

Well, it has been 5 full days since I last smoked and I must say I am in love with it. Yes, I said in love. I want to quit, but what is the point what is it hurting to smoke? The way it makes me feel is amazing. As you can see smoking has consumed my mind and what am I to do?? I am dying for it. Weed is all around me, my mother, friends, and work. I have successfully smoked for many years, I am constantly searching my mind for a reason to smoke. I need motivation to stay clean please help.

• Britt February 22, 2014, 8:51 am

Hi everyone! Today I decided to finally kick my weed habit for good. I’ve been smoking off and on for ten years and have tried quitting severs times. At first I only smoked so that I could relax, but as time wore on, I began to need to smoke before I ate, went to sleep, and to keep the nausea at bay. I see a huge difference in my levels of productivity and I know that it’s finally time to get so disciplined so I can get my motivation back into full drive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a bum who has nothing going for me, but I can say that weed makes me procrastinate until the last possible second which in turn makes me smoke to alleviate my anxiety. It’s seriously a vicious cycle. I’m so afraid of withdrawal-the nausea, inability to eating anything without feeling like throwing up, the anxiety-it’s all so terrible. I wish someone would have told me that this oils happen. I grew up in the “weed is not addictive generation” so it’s hard for my friends and family to understand how or why not smoking is so difficult for me. I appreciate all of the posts on here because they make me realize that I am not alone and most importantly, that I am not crazy and just “thinking” these symptoms into existence. I encourage everyone how visits this page to post a comment. You never know how your story may encourage and inspire someone else in their journey to quit smoking weed. Good luck to everyone and remember that you can do it!

• H February 24, 2014, 5:28 am

@M, I know exactly what you’re saying about not being able to keep a regular temperature. And I think you’re on the money about the exercise helping. Good luck ;) I’m hoping to draw strength from all of you guys posting and start my way on my sober path! H x

• Christine February 24, 2014, 5:57 pm

Try Benedryl for sleep while coming off the Mary Jane. It helps immensely.

• ab February 25, 2014, 4:09 pm

im 21 , i started smoking my freshman year when i was 15 , ive always been really anxious , when i first started smoking the feeling felt good , it felt very relaxing, and it helped allot with my anxiety, so i decided this was going to be my way of relaxing after a long day of work and school , it started to become an everyday thing before school and after work , just to relax the stress at work and school , i loved the feeling of going to school high cause i honestly felt like if i put my head into it i was learning better and it wasnt hurting my grades i still had a 3.8 GPA and was on the deans list in my university , i loved going to work high because i would just go to work and i felt more happy , i felt like i would talk to the customers better , and i felt like i did my job better , i would just go to work and i would focus on what i needed to do and time would fly by quick , but everyone knows allot of something can hurt you and as it became a habit in my life my life started to change i wouldnt enjoy things that didnt have to do with smoking , if i was going to do something i had to smoke to enjoy it , cause in my head everything felt better high , the food tasted better , the sex was better , playing ball was better etc.. if i didnt smoke i felt like i was out of energy , i would smoke so much and depend on it so much that in my head i would use it as a form of fuel for energy . it started to get bad when i would smoke and i would have anxiety attacks because i would start to think about to many things at school and work ,midterms,finals and stuff like that and since i was inhaling smoke i was having difficulties breathing so it got pretty scary after it happened more than twice , the marijuana wasnt doing what it used to do , i guess my body was starting to reject it , i came to a conclusion that i wasnt going to smoke no more to clean my self from all the damage i did to my body when my friends and i would play smoking games to see who could hold in the smoke the longest , i was a pretty crazy and i guess you can say dumb smoker , now that i think of it i probably abused it too much , and with abuse of any substance come negative feedback , i stopped smoking in new years 2014 and two weeks later i had the urge to smoke again so i did and had another anxiety attack , after this i knew that it was time for a change , and i havent smoked since but the withdraw symptoms are horrible , i feel like i cant eat sometimes because i feel like i cant swallow the food and i feel im choking ive lost about 12 lbs since and my energy is horrible, i been missing school cause i feel so tired and sometimes i cant even work , my anxiety got worse and any little pain makes me panic , i been getting sick allot with pain all over my body ,and i feel like maybe its because im not mentally stable right now , i sleep plenty of hours but i wake up tired and i feel like im never going to recover i just feel hopeless that now that i dont smoke i feel so sick , im young im not suppose to be feeling like this but im determined not to go back and i will get better with the help of GOD , and i hope that all this goes away soon. thats my story
    i just want to say that if your going to smoke dont abuse , but i really think you should stop or atleast limit yourself before you get to feeling how i do , its not fun ,but if you decided to stop and you feel any of these symptoms keep your head up and stay strong cause it will only get better and i know its hard but i know that i did the right choice and so did you

• TexasMoonpie March 3, 2014, 2:54 pm

I quit a week ago because I want to feel healthy, energetic and non-drugged again. I also drank a lot, margaritas and wine. I feel the detodx, I feel tired and have a headache when I wake up that lasts all day. The headache is at a 4 out of 10 level, but any headache is bothersome. Also, I can’t taste anything, even with lots of spices and salt. It seems to be getting worse each day, but I hope it’s getting better overall. My lungs are recovering. I’ve smoked pot from the age of 18 till now, age 64. However, there was a break of about 15 years that I didn’t smoke. I’ve been drinking since the age of 16, with a break of about 10 years that I didn’t drink. Lately, I had been smoking or vaping regularly, even during the day when I wasn’t working.

• TexasMoonpie March 3, 2014, 2:57 pm

I had some Thai coconut soup today, and it was delicious. That might help because it’s flavorful and a little spicy, so that I feel satisfied and don’t crave wine or pot.

• Gracie March 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

I quit smoking weed on Feb 1. I am on day 35. I was a daily user for about 8 months this time, but only a pipeful or two per day. This is the 2nd time I have stopped. Last time was two1/2 years ago. I started using again due to multiple stress situations going on.. Wrong choice for me! I have had many withdrawl symptoms.. Edginess, shakes, mild tremors, anxiety, ” skin crawlies” rapid weight loss, nite sweats, broken sleep, nightmares, mild depression, heart palpitations, fatigue, headaches, naseau, constant hunger &frustration over it all. While some of my symptoms have lessened over time, it is still a daily battle to accept that this is what is going on in my body. Sometimes I wonder why I started smoking it again! I’ve read that I can expect this to go on for 3 months. Ugh! I will remember this experience the next time I think of smoking weed. So to all you out there who are detoxing, know that what you are going thru is real, but it will get better if you don’t give in and start puffing again. Stay strong! Your body will love you for it in the end.

• SAMMY D EVANSTON March 7, 2014, 5:41 pm

SRY FELLAS..I BEEN SMOKIN SINCE I WAS TEN AND I AM NOW 23 AND OFFICIALY QUIT TWO DAYS AGO I CALLED OFF WORK CUZ I FELT MY BODY GOING INTO FULL BODY SWEATS AND MY HEAD IS HURTING AS I TYPE SO I MIGHT OG LAY DOWN( I JUST WOKE UP ABOUT TWO HOURS AGO) AND IM FEELIN TIRED I DRINK SO IT HELPS AT NIGHT I WAS A HEAVY SMOKER LIKE DAILY LIKE 3- 4 BLUNTS A DAY CUZ ERYONE I HANG WIT SMOKES….SO THIS IS OFFICALY DAY 2 AND THE SYMPTOMS MADE ME SEND OFF MY DATE IHAD TODAY CUZ I FEELT I WOULD BE TO ANTSY OR SO ANGRY IDK BUT QUITING SUCKS ASSSSSSSS….TIME TO DO IT THO I HAVE SHORT TERM MEMORY CUZ OF THAT

• Robbiowater March 12, 2014, 3:46 pm

Binaural Beats for Anxiety Depression Relief Meditation

For those trying to quit these beats really do work. Go to youtube or to the link at the top of this comment. If this one does not work try another . They really are amazing. Good luck ~

• Harley Cronley March 12, 2014, 5:42 pm

Being a Cannabis Addict is not an easy think. I know this because some of my friends had a lot of problems with withdrawal symptoms.

• Burbank March 12, 2014, 6:59 pm

I stopped smoking cannabis about a week ago after 13 years of being a “pot head”. During the 13 years of smoking I hardly ever had dreams or at least didn’t remember them. Over the years there were days when I didn’t smoke due to trouble with getting resupplied or the logistics of life didn’t allow time for smoking. At those times I noticed an increase of dream activity, so last week when I stopped smoking I expected to start dreaming again…. I didn’t expect the dreams to last all night though! Every night, since I’ve stopped smoking my sleep has been flooded with epic dreams, sometimes nightmares. During the day I feel exhausted, as if I hadn’t slept at all. My sleep cycle seems shorter now, I wake up earlier than usual even with the clocks going an hour ahead I’m waking up an hour or more on top of that!!! I’m hoping that one day soon after the withdrawal period I will get a good nights sleep and awake feeling well rested.
    It’s a good to know that this phenomena has been researched somewhat and that other cannabis users undergoing withdrawal have reported similar effects.

I was depressed before I started to smoke cannabis, the high helped me feel not so depressed but over the past few years the depression has been coming back even though I was getting high… Now with a week of not smoking I’m super depressed but I feel more hopeful about it now. Like this depression is workable thing, that I will get the best of it and that I will be able to achieve a more consistent happiness with out the use of cannabis as an escape.

I say cannabis is a wonderful substance, it has many uses. I’m glad that I chose it as my means of escape for over a decade as opposed to other substances.
    Maybe one day I’ll smoke again as a recreational user… I do not see myself in the future smoking it the way I use to, as a means of escape.. everyday… for years, like a pot head.

• Linkin March 24, 2014, 5:02 am

I am a pot user of 20 years I tried to quit I made it for like 5 weeks and started again major anxiety panic attacs insomnia and was not getting better I’m going to try and ween myself of this time instead of trying to quit cold turkey I will let everyone no how it goes

• Jennifer March 28, 2014, 7:41 am

I’m very annoyed by Georges comment saying weed is not addictive!!! Maybe because it’s day 2 for me of being sober after 15 years of smoking marijuana. If it wasn’t addictive no of us would have found this forum!!! The withdrawal effects are bad enough for each p need of us that we :oops: went looking for answers and others going through a similar situation. It is addictive just like cigarettes, hard drugs and even food!!! I made a decision to quit and I won’t let the pot be stronger them what I want!!! I’m having withdrawal symptoms but overall I feel good knowing I am conquering this ADDICTION! Thank you to all who have commented. Reading that I am not alone has been very helpful!!! Good luck to you all!!! Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME & continue to be smoke free for today!!! ♡

• steven March 30, 2014, 3:10 pm

Hey
    I was an 8th a day smoker for about 9 years and I just recently quit
    the headaches are terrible sleeping sucks and on top of that I work
    at a medical marijuana shop so I’m completely
    surrounded by it 24/7. I quite for better career opportunities but I really
    want to know if heavy smokers can actually quite. I mean do u every go back to normal and not crave it? Its been 3 weeks n i still feel dependant on it.
    if quitting means no more good sleep or happiness well I rather have a crappy job n be happy than a rich grump thanks for reading

• Happy girl March 30, 2014, 7:41 pm

It’s been four days for me and all I hear in my research is insomnia… But I have the opposite problem.. I’m sleeping more.. However smoking is what kept me awake most the time unless it was a heavy indica.. I can’t seem to stop being tired all he time I’ve slept 52 hrs in four days that’s horrible… I can’t eat and I’m all ready too skinny. I need help badly or do I just stay a pot head the rest of my life? I’m going to make a dr appt tomorrow hopefully to get some answers. My body pain has been massive the last two days. The first two not so severe… But if I start losing weight again I will go crazy! I have skinny complex like overweight ppl have fat complex

• titiriti69 April 4, 2014, 11:09 pm

Back in january 10 I had a self enduced panic attact..after smoking a couple of joints. It felt like all my fears came to my head at once, like a storm. I panic for several weeks. I lost my apetite, my sleep, my confident. I couldnt understand what was happening to my body and mind. I went to the doctor and was transfer to day drug treatment for 15 days. Im attending MA meetings and im closer to my higher power. I have not wish to smoke at all. Im really scare to have the panic attacts. Weed was already giving me bad trips but I didnt stop using. I did it everyday before and after everything. Cost me a lot of money and lost some friends who didnt know what I was doing and didnt agree with my habbits. I pray to god everyday for everything I have..nothing matters when you feel you are losing you sanity. My parents helped throughout the experienced, I could be left alone I thought something evil was going to get me. Weed is not naturals and many times is lazed with others drugs. Im still and addict by I defend my sobriety like I did my addiction. I hope my story helps other addicts who are still suffering.

• To April 6, 2014, 2:26 pm

I was a 20 year smoker. I dont smoke for 2 months.
    I believe the worst has passed already. Hard imnsonia, depression, anxiety and irritability were synthoms.
    Got professional help for it.
    Pot was ruinning My life. Feeling better already.
    Stay strong and good luck to all!!

• Dans April 8, 2014, 6:17 am

Hang in there, I have smoked daily for over 20 years. I was growing my
    own and smoked heavily. I started to have anxiety attacks every time
    I smoked and new it was time to give up.
    It has been over 3 months now and I will never go back to smoking
    as it’s been the toughest 3 months of my life. I changed jobs just before
    anxiety and depression set in. I hated my new job and ended up going
    backwards to another job for little pay. With a family and huge responsibility
    I was feeling worse then ever as we were struggling to make ends meet
    I found a new job that’s well paid and my doctor prescribed paxil for depression.
    Without the anti depressant I don’t think I could have gotten through it.
    I have cut my anti depressant down to half strength and I hope to be off
    them in 3 months time. I’m feeling much better now and so will you, get rid
    of anything smoke related although you shouldn’t have to if you really want
    to give up. You are better off without weed. I was living in fog and my life
    revolved around smoking. It shouldn’t be like that smoking weed will consume
    you and sap away your life. If you have a terminal illness then well and good
    but any other reason is a poor excuse to smoke. I’m being a hypocrite to say that
    but after 20+ years of heavy smoking I could have been more than I am now.
    Please relies living with weed addiction is harder than living without in every way.

• Nic clancy April 12, 2014, 8:31 am

I’ve was a reasonably heavy user of cannabis for 16 years.
    (Smokin oz + a week every week ) I found stopping almost
    Impossible !!! My detox was very unpleasant ! I had severe
    Muscle pain/chest pain/nightmares/cold sweats/depression
    Loss of apatite which lasted weeks. My symptoms lasted months
    I’ve been clean for a year now but sum if my symptoms still linger
    Il never go back to being a stoner and my advice to ne Cain head
    Would be its not harmless. Detox for me was a horrible experience
    Like my world was ending. Abuse catches up on you sooner or later

• Bobby Rey April 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

Been smoking for 15 years, everyday for about 10 but only as a light smoker. By light I mean only a couple times a day on weekdays, weekends forget about it…literally lol. There’s been lots of great times but it would be safe to say I’ve missed out on more good times than I’ve had because all I felt like doing was getting high, I guess I was lucky to have more than enough pothead friends to not have to smoke alone. Kids that are just starting to get high, have fun while it lasts. Not everyone figures it out even after years and years. I love hearing that being a pothead is better than being an alcoholic, I guess alcoholics say it’s better than being a crack head? Weed is obviously very addictive, whether it is mentally or physically, it’s tough. But trust me it’s more in your head. Anyone can stop its just not easy, the best way I’d suggest is to take a vacation somewhere for a week where you’re not going to get you’re hands on chronic. The easiest way to stop is when you have no choice. When you get home and after one week you’re telling you’re friends how great you feel, don’t go back!

• Sweet T April 17, 2014, 8:29 am

M. hang in there and everyone else too. I’ve been smoking heavily for the last 20 years with breaks only when I became pregnant or a few 3 and 6 month stints here and there. This is the worst time though. I have every withdrawal symptom under the sun. Anxiety, nausea, sweats, strange dreams, etc. I can handle the sweats but the anxiety and nausea are killing me. I have found that natural cures can help. Ginger tea, Chamomile tea, Lemon balm tea to sleep and help with the anxiety have all been God sends. The first week or so is always the hardest but it does get better. My husband has decided to quit too and this time he is getting the full force of withdrawals too. He gets the headaches which for me have not been a problem but this time he has the nausea and all the good stuff that comes along with it. We have made a pact not to let our attitudes affect us so we both know we are going through the same thing its been tough we have had a few minor problems but we apologize quickly and hug it out because we know why we are being that way. Just stay strong and try to use natural cures and know that it takes time but you will feel better.

• kenny adams April 17, 2014, 11:56 am

yes im going through some tough anxiety and depression. dammit, i just feel like a quick hit would be a good thing but im not going to give in. it’s just temporary and we are not alone. we can do this!

• I love weed April 19, 2014, 9:52 pm

I have been smoking for 15 years. Recently my dealer went belly up. Since I have been thinking about quiting I decided now was the time.

Weed has never stopped me from doing anything I have wanted to do in life. It doesn’t effect my motivation. Only downside is the munchies. If anything it has been more positive for me. I have a lot of anger issues and it’s the only thing that takes the edge off. It relaxes me. It takes me stress away.

My family has been pressuring me to quit so here I am. And boy does it SUCK!!! I’m not having problems with sleep but I wake every day with a severe migraine. It’s been two weeks and two days now. Around day 7/8 I was getting dizzy, nauseous, chills and sweats almost like the flu. WTF?! Every day that I was suffering I thought if I just took a hit I would feel better….,

I hate to admit it but I LOVE WEED. I don’t want to quit. It’s freaking legs
    Where I live and I still get crap for it. Why?! I am responsible. I pay all my bills, mortgage, I have a nice car. What else should I have that I don’t already? Nothing except my friend weed now. Ths sucks! I don’t even want to quit. Hopefully I won’t relent and get my prescription. I don’t know what to do anymore….,., I wish people would just back off and let me be.