Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms – What Marijuana Detox is Like

Are you trying to quit and going through Marijuana withdrawal?

You are not alone. Many heavy weed smokers go through some form of withdrawal when they haven’t smoked recently. This page describes the physical and psychological symptoms of withdrawal from marijuana. I should know – I smoked weed for close to 10 years before I learned how to kick my addiction to marijuana. Knowing what to expect will help you succeed!

How Long Does Marijuana Withdrawal Take?

Most people who experience marijuana withdrawal symptoms get them between the second and tenth day of quitting weed. Symptoms can last for up to a month in some people. The most intense withdrawal period will be the first week to ten days after you quit smoking marijuana. Different symptoms will resolve themselves at different rates.

Remember that each day the negative symptoms will decrease until you are physically and mentally free from THC! When you know what to expect, you will be well equipped to deal with it!

Marijuana Withdrawal Anxiety

The most common symptom of withdrawal is a low grade anxiety. Although not severe, this feeling is not easily remedied by through distraction or just thinking happy thoughts. In my opinion, the anxiety felt when detoxing from weed is a combination of fear of being sober, and desire to return to a stoned state of mind. It’s almost like your mind is saying “Things aren’t normal, I don’t like this new state”. As you become accustomed to not smoking and the new state of mind, the anxiety will fade.\

Insomnia, Sleeping, and Dreaming

Whenever I quit smoking weed, I would always have disturbances in my sleep. In the beginning the insomnia can be quite severe. The worst for me was about 4 hours sleep in 60 hours. I have heard of some people sleeping less than 5 hours every night, but the worst of the insomnia symptoms tend to disappear about a week after quitting.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.

Change of Appetite and Weight Loss

Another common marijuana detox symptom is the lack of an appetite. I have met a couple people who need to smoke before they eat. When they quit smoking, they don’t have the desire to eat. It’s almost like they needed the munchies to eat food.Let’s face it, marijuana withdrawal stresses the body out, and when you get stressed, you can lose your appetite and lose weight. The weight loss has got to be the best benefit of detox!

Cures for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms

The best cure for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms is time and patience. Having a plan to get through the withdrawal and avoid relapse is also one the keys in learning how to quit smoking marijuana.

Need Help?

For more information about quitting marijuana and a Complete Guide to Withdrawal, check out http://quitmarijuana.org/

{ 1078 comments… add one }

• meka simpsom January 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Day 5 for me and all what you all are saying is definitely happening headaches ,moodswings, I even snapped on my son..the anxiety is real and the insomnia is insane… I have sleeping pills from my doctor not really working but we’ll see. I’ve been a smoker for 8years… First time ever quitting.. once this is done I’ll be happy camper.. we are all survivors we can get through this.. this site helps .cause we are not alone In this fight.

• AB January 19, 2015, 12:19 pm

To : PRINCE
    Yes there is chest pain. I cry all the time because I cannot sleep. I did this to myself and I will come out OK! I praise everyone who has shared bless you ALL. You have blessed me and made me cry on several occasions. You feel like it will never end. Today is day 6 for me and I have often entertained the thought of having my husband knock me out cold just to get some sleep. NO JOKE! My appetite is gone and I am fat, my sleep is non existent, My nerves are shot, my heart hurts, and so emotional and easy to anger. I hope and pray that others read these stories and learn from others pain and suffering. You have no idea what it means to me to read these and know that this will not last forever! Bless you all and the BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

• Shawn January 17, 2015, 2:33 pm

I smoked at the summer of 8th grade. Stoped at the beginning year of Sophmoor year. I was a every day smoker. Ms miles at least a couple times a day. I was at the point to where I could eat or sleep if I wasn’t high. I was also using wax. When I finnalu relized I had to quit I just Stoped I was fine the hole day until sudenly later that night i started feeling angry and then sad just mixed emotions. Then I started sweating. I suddenly couldn’t breath at all hyper ventilating my heart was pounding through my chest going so fast. Vision started to go. Then I felt so much nausea. Like it was worst then being sick with a fever. I felt like this way all night couldn’t handle it so I wemt out and smoked. I felt better. Then the next morning I shit out of my bed and the same shit happens again. I was pulling up straight acid. I told my mom I was Dieing because I thought I was. I was taken to the hospital and put on medicine I felt better. Went home and slept. When I woke I felt the same way had to go back. Long story short I was going back and forth to the hospital and finnaly my doc put me on a medicine that helped. It took 3-4 weeks before I felt like I want dieing. I went 2 and a helf weeks with ought eating a single piece of food or sleep.. I went to counseling and got better. Just wanted to let every one know that if this happens to you all that fixes it is time. You will go through hell during it but time will heal you. And some sorts of medicien will help as well. Stay strong

• lynnie January 16, 2015, 11:24 am

Hang in there Kate. I have been smoking daily for 30 years. On day 23. It’s been so hard. The withdrawals (sleeplessness/anxiety/knots in my stomach /loss of appetite/depression/hands and feet sweating) but I am bound and determined.

• Ernest January 15, 2015, 1:27 am

Finally kicked the habit after 18 years, I am turning 34. Reasons for quiting being that I was overly dependant on it and lacked motivation in life. I am on my third week now and have experienced most of the withdrawal symptoms mentioned. I think the most important help to quiting is to know what to expect. In the past when I tried quiting I was caught of guard by the withdrawal symptoms. This site and your shared eexperiences helped a lot. And so I wanna say a big thank you to all of you. I think I might take a puff every now and then just to release stress, but I do not think I will go back to my daily habit of being constantly high.

• Beavis January 14, 2015, 9:48 pm

I’ve been a daily smoker for about 19 years. I first smoked weed the last day of eighth grade(smoked from a soda can YUCK), but really didn’t become addicted until 10/11 grade. Since then I have taken very few days off. I probably consume about 11 to 12 grams weekly. Financially, my habit was taking a toll. Since then I have acquired a medical card(within about 2 years ago), which is helping financially but I still feel weed is the worst thing for me personally. My problems stem from motivation and behaviorally. I have to step back and look at my life, I seem to become very reclusive. I almost avoid people when under the influence of weed. I have friends, I’ve just been choosing to not be around them. This goes double for my family. Its seem I choose to get off work, head right home and smoke, a pattern that has gone on for some time. I realize I’m getting no where in life and need to make a change.(I could go on and on about negative consequences) I’ve wanted to quit for some time but can’t seem to do it. The only way I can stop is by going on vacation(if it is around me I cave). Which I did about a month ago, quit for about 12 days. I was so pleased. I had all the typical withdraw symptoms(insomnia, no appetite, mood swings) but it wasn’t too bad. Actually life was easier, easier to simply go to the grocery store and buy milk, doctors appts and even to look someone in the eye(I always hate making eye contact when high, somebody may realize I’m high). I realized how much I put things off. After getting back from vacation I relapsed about 5 days later. I so want to quit but once I get clean and sober, it calls me. I some how convince myself, I’ll smoke just once and be done but within days I’m back smoking all day everyday. So I’ve smoked for about 10 days since then but am attempting to quit again. I’m on day 2. I’ve been busy at work the last 2 days, so that has helped. My main problem, is my mood. I’m feeling a little depressed. Got off work and laid in bed the remainder of the day(with my dog), not like me at all. Realistically, I do have some genuinely worrisome issues in my life but I seem to focus on it more when not under the influence or can’t cope as well. I’ve come to recognize all my friends smoke. I’m sad to think I’ve excluded other people because they didn’t smoke. I think marijuana has had a huge impact on my life. I do recognize weed doesn’t affect everyone like this. Sorry to ramble on. Wish me luck.

• david January 14, 2015, 7:06 pm

Day 8. This blows. But burger king don’t pay the rent.

• Ms. Kate January 14, 2015, 6:25 pm

I am on my day ten of no smoking and I feel horrible… Whoever said not smoking is good sucks… I hate this shit I’m so depressed.. And nothing helps… Wish that I could smoke

• michael January 14, 2015, 10:58 am

Im starting day one of attempting to quit marajuana ive used and been addicted to sevral other substances and am coming off other drugs as well but it seems all i feel is like a very milded but constant head ache also i seem to always have a hunger pain but cant eat nearly as much the hardest part is the cravings im sure thats just how my body craves stuff i have my own reasons for quitting and if it didnt mean so much to me idk if i would beable to even attempt this but i just went into the other room and looked at a grinder with enought pot in it for 2 good hits the hardest thing ive done in a long time is just walk out of the room and smoke a cigg im 23 and ive been an everday smoker in a unhealthy life style since i was 12 if i can stop this than im confident anyone can

• Baba January 11, 2015, 10:00 am

8th day.. Quitted after 8yrs regular smoking.. was little difficult for first two days.. always the thought of we3d and getting high used to occupy my days and nights for the 48 hours..lack of sleep and little bit of anxiety also there..finally made a harsh schedule for myself ..early waking up and regular 1 hr Yoga and thought of dedicating my life for some higher purpose.. now with the cough some black spots are also coming.. hopefully wl Recover soon from this withdrawal symptoms..practicing some good yoga techniques and ancient Indian tantra techniques for cleansing of lungs, wind pipes and other tracts..its really helping me..you can find these things in a book namely Yoga and Kriya by swami Satyananda Saraswati..free pdf available on internet.
    You could also try some herbs and vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables, ginger, honey, lemon etc.
    I had tried to quit it many a times before..had been successful in patches for one month sometimes but because of friends sometimes, personal Craving sometimes not able to do so..but hopefully wl be successful in this attempt..

• prince January 8, 2015, 9:50 am

hi plz tell if sime one feel a little chest pain after stoping smiking

• Ms. Kate January 7, 2015, 5:42 am

Day 2: I knowwww that I probably should just get a journal but it feels good to know that I can have other people maybe help me out with kickin this “addiction” I don’t honestly feel like this is an addiction but idk maybe it is haha… I woke up at 4am not being able to sleep my anxiety was out the roof. I have been drinking a lot of water and I am going to be tested in 28 days! I’m so tired haha I just thought you should all know why I am stopping. My reasons aren’t going to be praised and I will probably be looked down on by a lot of parents on here and you will want to hug your children and thank them for being little angels but I got caught up at school I was out at lunch with my friends and we were called on by a nieghbor that lives by the school and we were accused for smoking around my friends truck…there were about 8 of us. When we saw our principle come running across the street we all automatically took off and ran through the whole town… Non of us got suspended or anything because we are all very intelligent kids when it comes to getting out of trouble note this to all I said intelligent “when it comes to getting out of trouble.” I never said that what I did was intelligent but I think it’s pretty damn smart to walk away with just a notation on my name… Believe me I’ve learned my lesson and I hope someone else can learn from it too cuz trust me it does NOT feel good when u are sitting in ur last class of the day waiting for that door to open and have ur principle call ur name… I feel so lucky that I am able to learn from this though I know I will never be smoking without precaution and WHO I AM WITH!!! Don’t forget to stone safe

• ed January 6, 2015, 9:09 am

I quit after 10 years and had moderate symptoms compared to when I quill smoking cigarrets in 1998.

• Ms. Kate January 6, 2015, 7:07 am

I’m 17 been smoking weed for a year and that means every day like not just a couple times a day everytime I start to come down I smoke I’m never not high. I swear when I’m not high there is an automatic stress/panic. I am being made by my parents to STOP the smoking. I’m on day one of my detox and it’s shit but I just wanted to come on here to see what symptoms to expect haha I guess now I have a new year resolution.

• SteveAnthony January 5, 2015, 7:47 pm

Smoking almost every day for 20+ years except for the handful of times I took breaks for a few months at a time, the only time I didn’t quit on my own was when I failed a drug test at work and was put on probation for a year, for which the first 6 months I didn’t smoke then I got a medical card (I’m in California) and then my company allowed cannabis in my system. Everyone is different but for me it’s never been that hard to quit when I have a good reason, if there is not a good reason in my mind then it doesn’t last long. Each time the withdrawals were there but a little different in strength. Symptoms included lack of sleep, flu like symptoms, easily irritated, lack of appetite, anxiety and boredom (my #1 reason for smoking, at least consciously…weed has been a great boredom killer). I just stopped smoking 2 days ago and all these symptoms are back, lack of sleep is the one I hate the most. For me I want to find out why I feel I need it to not be bored (what’s hiding in my subconscious) and also there is a growing list of things I’ve been wanting to do for a long time and the weed kills my drive to get them done. Of course being a long time smoker I have quite a few very close friends that have been smoking as long and there’s no doubt that everybodys experience with it is different in all areas. Good luck to those choosing to quit and remember to be patient with yourself and your body in the beginning.

• Josh January 5, 2015, 12:10 am

I am 18 and I’ve been smoking every day for the past year or so. When I’m not smoking I am thinking about smoking and craving it and i have realized that it is taking over my life. I recently quit about 5 days ago and have experienced extreme anxiety, irritability toward everyone including myself, and lack of sleep. The withdrawal affects are stressing me out even more and I pray that they go away as soon as possible.

• Vicente lagajino January 3, 2015, 10:23 am

Avid smoker for 13 years. Withdrawals can be severe for the body but I believe the best method is to stay busy and keep your mind occupied. Exercising can be very helpful as it helps the body detox faster and helps sleeping due to body fatigue from work out. Good luck to all.

• Ray January 3, 2015, 8:26 am

First, thank you everyone for sharing it is inspiring. I am sitting on my couch detoxing weed out of my system for 3 days now and I must say I am very taken by the harsh symptoms I am experiencing. Makes me think the was other drugs mixed in the weed I smoked. I’ve smoked weed for 30 years and have quit before but never experienced the flu like symptoms like I’m experiencing today, they are awful. I will be very glad when I overcome this misery and get back to normal. Best of luck to every one quitting and think of all the energy, strength and feeling happiness when this is over. As an ex pothead for all these years a speak strongly when I say f$&k weed. I care about my brain cells to much. Be well all

• dr.greenzo December 31, 2014, 5:27 am

been smoking for 35 years at least… quit several times. flu like symptoms, lack of sleep, stress, all normal. stay with it and you will gain some clarity, suddenly have goals in life, dont drink booze, take pills . suck it up! you put yourself here, now get yourself out!!! I quit and go back to it all the time. usally because i can build up a super high tolerance, ( great weed barley get me high) remember its just weed, your not kicking meth. keep in mind, ive been super successfull smoking weed and not… so dont let some weak drug run your life!!

• Karen Franklin December 28, 2014, 5:34 pm

It sounds like sleep which is probably what the body needs most, is the biggest hurdle. Well gravol really works well to help with sleeping through the night. Not habit forming either. Keep up all your hard work. This is for you. We dont get a second chance at this life.

• Jake December 28, 2014, 3:25 am

I am 19 and had been smoking weed near enough every day for half a year. From reading these other stories from users trying to quit is the most reassuring thing ever. Compared to what I have read me smoking for half a year is incomparable to some people who have been smoking it for years on end however trying to quit for me is the most difficult thing I have done in my life. I thank everyone who has shared their experience as I now know that I am not alone in what I am feeling and that it will eventually subside.

• Hugh December 14, 2014, 4:30 pm

I smoked weed for 30 years, now my 13 y.o. son has been sent away and some of that is cause he smokes weed. so im quiting to support him. My symptoms are cant fall asleep, heart pounds, lack of any kind of joy. cannabis worked good in my life but I want happiness with out it. Its day five and I got a job so I need to get sleep. hope at some point I can find joy and sleep w/o it,

• Tom December 14, 2014, 6:20 am

I was a marijuana and cannabis daily smoker for the past 23 years, and managed to quit 4 months ago. I did not suffer any withdrawal symptoms, but my suffering started 2 years ago when I realized how I wasted my life in this habit that killed my motivation and social life, I was scared of quitting and being sober all the time, but when I finally quit, I realized that the addiction is more mental than physical, you just have to be convinced that you’re doing the right thing for your sake and the sake of your loved ones around you.

• Chuck B December 13, 2014, 8:24 pm

An update from previous post. At about day 25 eating good and sleep is a lot better. I have always done Karate. But I always liked the double buzz of endorphins and thc. But the endorphins are ok on their own. 4o minutes of karate is kind of like a pot buzz but you just cant do it all the time. Helps sleep though. And so does doing weights. I had one dream where I was at a resort and they were giving away free pot. Figures. I did relapse once in these 25 days. and I am drinking some beer. But I do manage to stay away from that ounce of primo in my filing cabinet. Somehow I find it easier to quit because I want to rather than because there is none there. Kind of a security blanket I guess. I have given up a lot of things that used to interest me and cancelled e subscription to thinks I used to find interesting. Now I just could not give a damn. I am thinking about doing some writing – perhaps I can write a novel instead of reading one buzzed.

• Diana December 10, 2014, 5:56 pm

I have been a daily smoker for the past 15 years. This past week, I came down with a virus which affects my lungs and can’t smoke even if I wanted to. I have been wanting to quit for quite some time but because of the withdrawal symptoms, I’ve been putting it off. I am a singer and have lost lung power because of of smoking.
    Right now, because I am sick, I can deal with the withdrawal, but I want to be strong in my resolve to quit. I want to figure out how to be naturally high again. Thanks for being there.

• Mel December 8, 2014, 8:50 am

After smoking daily for 20 years i am having pretty severe axiety… im on day 5 and at times i feel great and other times i feel horrible, anxious like you wouldnt blv.. but I must stay strong. My wd symptoms are so bad my doctor prescribed Celexa ana Xanax for 30 days… i hate pills and tried to forgo the pills but an axiety atfack just cameout of nowhere so..i had to take a xanax. Dont be ashamed to see a doctor to get help with the withdrawals and staying sober. Who knew quitting weed would be such a beast!

• chuck b December 7, 2014, 2:14 am

55 years old and smoking regularly for 40 years. Day 20 and I am going through hell. Got a prescription and an ounce of promo stashed. Its 2am again an I can’t sleep. I can finally eat again and gave good bowel movements. Eatinf like a horse now. But god do I miss sleep. It was not only my crutch, but my politics. Heavy and well known in Canadian legalization movement. But for personal reasons I am quitting. I am finding some solace in Church. Problems with marriage. Wife hates pot but is an alcoholic. I find I just don’t give a damn about anything anymore and feel I have wasted my life on pot. I am hoping I can get a night of sleep.

• BP December 3, 2014, 9:41 pm

I started smoking at 15 and have pretty much smoked everyday since then (I’m 28 now). However, in the past 6 months, I was working on a farm and had access to copious amounts of bud, in which time i was smoking more than 10 bong loads a day, commonly mixing dabs in as well. I would have never in a million years believed marijuana withdrawal could be so painful. I’m currently on day 7 or 8. The loss of sleep and appetite I can understand. However, the anxiety and nervousness, flu like symptoms (extreme hot and cold, body and muscle aches, sore throat) were totally unforeseen and damn near unbearable. Not to mention the night sweats and insane dreams. One of the only things getting me through this are searching online and finding sites like this. It’s very reassurring to know that all of these symptoms are pretty typical of heavy marijuana users. I encourage everyone to keep sharing their experiences. Thanks guys!