Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms – What Marijuana Detox is Like

Are you trying to quit and going through Marijuana withdrawal?

You are not alone. Many heavy weed smokers go through some form of withdrawal when they haven’t smoked recently. This page describes the physical and psychological symptoms of withdrawal from marijuana. I should know – I smoked weed for close to 10 years before I learned how to kick my addiction to marijuana. Knowing what to expect will help you succeed!

How Long Does Marijuana Withdrawal Take?

Most people who experience marijuana withdrawal symptoms get them between the second and tenth day of quitting weed. Symptoms can last for up to a month in some people. The most intense withdrawal period will be the first week to ten days after you quit smoking marijuana. Different symptoms will resolve themselves at different rates.

Remember that each day the negative symptoms will decrease until you are physically and mentally free from THC! When you know what to expect, you will be well equipped to deal with it!

Marijuana Withdrawal Anxiety

The most common symptom of withdrawal is a low grade anxiety. Although not severe, this feeling is not easily remedied by through distraction or just thinking happy thoughts. In my opinion, the anxiety felt when detoxing from weed is a combination of fear of being sober, and desire to return to a stoned state of mind. It’s almost like your mind is saying “Things aren’t normal, I don’t like this new state”. As you become accustomed to not smoking and the new state of mind, the anxiety will fade.\

Insomnia, Sleeping, and Dreaming

Whenever I quit smoking weed, I would always have disturbances in my sleep. In the beginning the insomnia can be quite severe. The worst for me was about 4 hours sleep in 60 hours. I have heard of some people sleeping less than 5 hours every night, but the worst of the insomnia symptoms tend to disappear about a week after quitting.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.

Change of Appetite and Weight Loss

Another common marijuana detox symptom is the lack of an appetite. I have met a couple people who need to smoke before they eat. When they quit smoking, they don’t have the desire to eat. It’s almost like they needed the munchies to eat food.Let’s face it, marijuana withdrawal stresses the body out, and when you get stressed, you can lose your appetite and lose weight. The weight loss has got to be the best benefit of detox!

Cures for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms

The best cure for Marijuana Withdrawal Symptoms is time and patience. Having a plan to get through the withdrawal and avoid relapse is also one the keys in learning how to quit smoking marijuana. One thing that really helped me get through the withdrawal and cravings was the Cannabis Coach Easy Quit Audio series by Gary Evans. It guided me through first couple of weeks and gave me exercises to remove some of the stress from quitting.

Click Here for the Cannabis Coach Easy Quit Audio Program

{ 1019 comments… add one }

• Kate July 24, 2014, 10:04 pm

Alina, I have the same thing. I’ve been a regular smoker for 2 years about now, something like 6 bowls a day or some dabs…. I had a constant full feeling since April and experience one week of no smoking in May and one just now. This round is worse, been having no appetite and when I do eat I throw up my dinner. My heart is beating very hard, I believe due to anxiety. I didn’t believe it was weed doing this to me….. Maybe other things on top of it? Aka jet lag (as these breaks are vacations) but I can certainly tell you weed withdrawl is most likely real and more powerful than any sickness I’ve had before…. No way to spend your vacations. I would suggest quitting before hand. Lemme know if you have the extreme nausea all day too? Added worries?

• Walter July 25, 2014, 8:07 pm

I’ll be 37 in September and I’ve smoked herb off and on since I was 16. I’ve been a daily smoker most of my 30’s and today is my first day sober in awhile. I’ve quit many times, usually to pass a whiz quiz for a new job but it never feels easy. I have an addictive personality. It sucks. I wish I was one of those people that isn’t attracted to substances. For me, herb has been a way to relax after a long day or on the weekend. As a musician of many years, it also helps me get the creative juices flowing. Life feels mundane without my friend Mary riding shotgun. It’s been a long time since I’ve been clean for more than 6 months. Somebody please tell me that there is joy and creativity to be had sans marijuana.

• Jay July 26, 2014, 8:09 pm

I’m with u guys, after 11 years of smoking everyday, I no longer have a job to support my habits, and so this week be my first sober week since high school, I plan on going to the dog park and library this week, plus runs, but in general I’m scared,,,

• nk August 1, 2014, 8:31 pm

Hello to all, let me first say that ALL of these stories are the biggest help to me. I am a 35 yr old male who has smoked everyday for 16 yrs…unreal I know. I am on day 22 of quitting and have gone thru some unbearable symptoms…loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach pain, constipation, diarreah (sorry to be graphic), mood swings to the max, very vivid dreams,….I used the weed to cope with a lot of stressful issues in my life and it got out of control and became my crutch..i couldn’t do anything without getting high first. I had totally convinced myself that I had to do it before anything I did. it cost me my life as I am now living back home with my parents and that in itself is a nightmare.. I lost my job, girlfriend(S) and even a couple of close friends I had for 20+ yrs…I only quit 22 days ago because I have to find a job and get the hell outta here…but, in quitting it has opened my eyes to want to be the person I was before I started. I had dreams and goals I threw away just to get high. I never touched the stuff in high school as I was an athlete who played 3 sports..I just want my life back. I know I won’t be able to accomplish all that I wanted to years ago but feel that even 35 isn’t that old…I know I have a lot of work ahead of me just to have a somewhat normal life but feel that it will be worth it…I had to post my story in hopes that somebody out there will read it and choose to never use weed again. It really can destroy your life if you let it…Thank you again to all of you for the extremely brave posts on the subject. I will never use again. and you all helped me make that decision. God Bless all of you.

• thiza August 3, 2014, 3:13 pm

Hi I ve been smoking for 4 years daily and I’m 4 weeks without a joint and. Feeling great.I don’t get craving but I can surely tell you that I’ve lost a lot in four years.I’m just glad that,that phase of my life is over now.what I’m doing is experiencing withdrawal symptoms now,a flu that’s been persistant,I was beginning to get worried is how I found this site and its been good reading other comments.getting high is no good for anybody.you don’t ever give up getting back to your normal self ever.

• Levi August 12, 2014, 10:37 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing your story. I am 27 and have been smoking pot off and for 16 years. I have always used pot to help numb the pain I felt inside. For a long time I could not see anything wrong with smoking and I really thought it helped with my depression and pain I felt. Now though every time I some I just become extremely anxious and just have feelings of hate towards myself because I know it controls me and not the other way around. One of the hardest things I’ve had with quitting smoking is the fact that I felt like I had no where to go for help since everyone I know smokes and people think you are crazy when you tell them that you are addicted to pot since many people think you can’t be addicted to it. I feel like it has ruined and controlled my life for too long and have been trying to stop for a while now. I normally make it about a week, I start to think about it like crazy and end up always convincing myself that I will feel better if I just take a couple hits, but it just numbs me for a couple minutes and then I just start to feel worse. It has been 5 days since I last smoked and was starting to think about smoking some to help me fall asleep since I can’t seem to really sleep right now. After reading everyone’s post though it has given me the strength to push my urges down and hopefully kick this vice for good. Thank you everyone for your post because it made me feel like I wasn’t the only one out there dealing with this problem which I sometimes feel like.

• unhighme August 14, 2014, 6:13 pm

About 2 days with no pot. Smoked every day for the past four years. Very irritated , not sleeping or eating, and not used to being sober. I’m quitting because I have a $400-$500 a month habit and would like t0 use money to fix up my home. My bday is next week, but I’m dreading the day it comes because I know friends will want me to celebrate and puff the magic dragon. I am a strong person, but damn this is tough.

• Max August 21, 2014, 3:26 pm

My name is max and I smoked pot for 6 years, every single day….. I am 4 days sober and I feel like killing myself. I know it’s just the withdraw but it’s so strong. I just moved away from my friends and family for school and a job, which has intensified the symptoms. These post truly made me feel not alone. Now I can’t wait to see how I feel in a month. I am feeling everything you guys described, but I know there will be sunny skies when the fog is cleared. Thank you.

• shania August 22, 2014, 7:13 pm

I’ve stopped for 2.days now and man dose my body ach I’m only 18 and have smoke since I was 13 when detoxing dose it body hurt can someone help me

• Zoya August 25, 2014, 8:42 am

:cry: Somebody plz help me quit…

• Mandy August 25, 2014, 8:51 pm

Hi everyone,
    I’m just starting, day one. :/
    I started when I was 15/16, 21 now. I really got heavily into it (3 years ago) because of a guy I was dating, weed was his life. I ended things with him about a year and a half ago in, lets just say… a really traumatic way. Since then I have continued to smoke on a daily basis. Yesterday I went for a walk and had a joint along the way (not an uncommon thing) and heard people talking about me and following me… long story short I called a good friend to come help me. However, instead of a “omg, are you okay” I got a “you are so stoned, I don’t think people were actually following you” kind of attitude. I am quitting mostly to save my relationship with my friend and parents. In my mind I am sure that there were actually boys following me but my parents and friends believe differently. I guess I’m just wondering if something like this has ever happened to any of you?? Any major hallucinatinations? It really kills that they don’t believe me, but it’s making me completely confused and thinking I’m crazy….. please help.!

• Dave August 30, 2014, 5:18 pm

I have been smoking weed regularly for 30+ years. I originally started smoking weed to wean myself off booze. It was successful in that I haven’t had a drink since 1982. I live in Washington state, where MJ is legal for both medical, and recreational users. I still have to drive 50 miles to hook up, as I live in a dry county where there are no medical dispensary’s, or recreational shops. I decided to hang this addiction up. I have been pot free for about 3 weeks now, and have no problem with the appetite or eating. I am having real bad insomnia, run down feeling, ringing in the ears, pressure changes in the ears, like in an airplane when you’re coming in for a landing. And when I do sleep I have vivid dreams. Weird dreams. I have experienced these symptoms a couple years ago when I tried to quit. I’m going to hang in there this time, and hope it passes. I’ll be good to be free of the monkey on my back. I just have to quit feeding him bananas.

• Moe September 3, 2014, 6:26 am

Hi…I’m 32 and I started smoking when I was 18, but didn’t smoke regularly until I was 22-23. In those ten years I would take breaks, but for the past four years I smoked everyday. I quit 9 days ago because I felt my life was heading nowhere and I’m plagued by all the withdrawal symptoms listed. I have no motivation, no hunger, and very strange dreams that wake me up in the middle of the night. I have sweaty palms everyday and I sweat every night before I go to bed. The anxiety is worst in the mornings and evenings and I also feel paranoid much of the time. The cravings lessened after day 5 however. I hope I feel better soon. To all the young folks: quit now before you end up like me.

• rude September 7, 2014, 1:02 am

experiencing all those symptoms, insomnia,vivid dreams ,flu like symptoms, ears aches,42yrs old been smoking since i was 13.smoking daily since 17 after i lost my mom,cost me friends family as i didnt like being around folks due to the paranoia.led a hermitt lifesytle.had 2 kids at 21 yrs of age,swore i was gonna be a great dad but weed kept me from many if not all social events.wish i could turn back the clock,but i cant.i wish i wouldve stopped smoking long ago.have missed many great career opportunities.life has actually been like a hazy dream,glad to be part of reality once again. as to te girlwho thought she was being followed by some boys while walking and smoking a joint,she probably was,maybe they just wanted to get stoned with you.but also theres a saying “she smokes she pokes”.men tend to think women who smoke are permiscuos.so be careful out there ladies.peace

• Billy September 8, 2014, 8:33 am

Hello. I have been smoking for about 4 years now, the last 2 years being everyday, multiple times a day. I got sick of working 2 jobs so that I could spend a large portion of my earnings on pot, so I gave it up. Easier said than done lemme tell ya. I am on day 8 of no Mary J and I feel like crap! Some anxiety, nausea/loss of appetite (was on an empty stomach and had to force myself to eat and almost threw up my meal), little bit of dizziness, and just an overall sick feeling. I am only 20 years old and been going to the gym to work out everyday, and was very active with friends and sports. Since I stopped smoking I have felt very tired. I have not worked out since I stopped smoking because I simply do not have the energy. I just don’t feel like the healthy and young kid I was before. I cannot go back to pot so i’ll make it, but quitting really does suck. If I had known it would be like this, I definitely wouldn’t have gotten into it as heavily as I did. Hopefully someone learns something from my experiences as a youngen.

• SeanBrady September 9, 2014, 5:42 am

I am on day twenty five of stopping smoking. I have smoked almost every day for 23 years. I stopped for financial reasons initially but soon realised that this was my chance to finally get rid of this addiction. The first 10 days was hell really. Anger, insomnia, loss of appetite etc. The next 10 were easier, and the last five easier still. I still get the cravings to smoke it at some point every day but it only last 20 minutes or so and then I’m ok. The first ten days or so I watched alot of videos on youtube. Seb Grant has some very good ones that I recomend people who are struggling with weed to watch. I also bought some high cocoa content chocolate(85%) and slowly eat a couple of pieces when the cravings are really strong. this really seems to help me alot. (and it tastes great) I also take long walks and cycle and make sure that I eat 3 meals a day(I’m always hungry these days!). This has also helped big style. If you can, come clean with your doctor, admit that you’re powerless over weed and get some professional help. It is out there, but you have to take the first step. Be brave, stay strong. It does get easier. Hope this helps. Sean

• Drew September 10, 2014, 9:46 am

Seriously? Y’all are a bunch of whiny babies. I have smoked herb for 15 years, many times daily when I am doing it, and not at all when I need to clean up for whatever reason–this time it is to pass a physical and get life insurance.

I’ve never experienced any of the “withdrawal” symptoms that y’all are talking about. Likely because MARIJUANA IS NOT PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE. If you are experiencing these issues, you should probably visit a doctor as there may be a more serious underlying condition that you were “self-medicating” with the dope. For example, pot is known to help with anxiety, so if you experience anxiety after you quit it is likely that you have an anxiety disorder that the pot was, but is no longer, helping.

• jay September 10, 2014, 1:46 pm

When will all these symptoms be over with im on day 10 i have quit last year around a week before 420 but this withdrawl feel like it being prolonged hearing some your stories motivates me cuz i started at 19 but picked up heavy blunts at 23 just turned 25 and stopped last week when the symptoms end please help and thanks alot for sharing your positive stories just help to tell me how to get over these symptoms besides eating healthy and exercising. Like i’ve been doing thanks my people…..

• Laura September 10, 2014, 11:34 pm

So I’m on my third day of no smoking and it sucks. This is my third time to “quit” within the past two months after a solid 3 years now being a heavy smoker. I can’t sleep or eat at all. I feel like I’m doing worse at work because of anxiety. I am a cigarette smoker as well and I smoke way more cigarettes without weed. Normally I don’t like smoKing cigarettes when I’m high. I do like the weight loss but at the same time I feel weak on days I don’t eat. Anyone have any helpful tips to get through this easier so I don’t just give up and start again?