Marijuana Side Effects – When to Stop Smoking Weed

Hi Everyone,

Smoking Marijuana used to be a lot of fun for me, I am not going to lie. But it was a bit of a slippery slope. I don’t know exactly when it happened, but the side effects of smoking marijuana started to become worse than the ‘high’.

Marijuana Side Effects
I started smoking heavily while I was in university, at around 18 years old.   I was able to keep up my grades, and social expectations, but still enjoy a regular smoke…..for a while.     Gradually, I started to puff more often, until I was smoking 1/4 oz of fine herb every 4 or 5 days.    I would wake and bake, then smoke a cigarette (I wasn’t a cigarette smoker…but I thought it got me more high) first thing in the morning.   Then I would chase the high all day.

I carried on like this for YEARS…I was really stuck in a rut.. The marijuana side effects were way worse for my life than the short feeling of the high, and I knew I had to stop smoking weed…When you think about side effects, you probably think about coughing, red eyes, and the munchies…but what about the larger lifestyle side effects of smoking weed?

For me, there was always some anxiety about people finding out I smoked, or being stoned in public.   There was also the anxiety of running out.   I used to run around my apartment looking for scraps in the cracks of the coffee table, couch cushions, and on the floor.      There was also the $20,000 or so dollars I spent smoking weed.  That’s a down payment on house….or a brand new car.   My health suffered, partly from smoking, partly from being lazy, because that’s what happened when I got high.

I have gained some perspective in the last 6 months.   I don’t really identify with the ‘the person I was’ when I was such a heavy smoker.   Don’t get me wrong, I know that was me, but I am kinda embarassed about it.    I have friends from that point in my life who only know me as a stoner, and that’s a label no one wants.   To my close friends, I have made some apologies, because I wasn’t holding up my side of the friendship like I do now…luckily they have given me the opportunity to prove it.   Who would have thought that long term marijuana side effects would be losing friends….it happens.

If you can relate to this, and are still smoking, there are a few things I want to tell you.   First off.  You CAN do it!   Second, think of the weed side effects that you have…and don’t think of just the red eyes and stuff…think of your lifestyle, and if this is the lifestyle you want to keep on living.    Personally, I needed to quit weed if I wanted to progress as an individual.  I know it sounds a little corny….but it’s truth.

One thing that I recommend is my mailing list you can

Get On My Mailing List Today

Leave me some comments if you have specific questions.  I do my best to answer them.

{ 709 comments… add one }

• Bee May 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

I am glad I have found so many of you… I love weed but I want my life back! I’m desperate but don’t know hoe to handle the mental addiction

• DEBA May 25, 2014, 3:33 am

Thanks buddy..This helps me a lot..really thanks.. :smile:

• Oscar May 28, 2014, 8:41 am

I’m on day 5 today of not smoking. Goddamn this mental addiction is hard! BUT it is getting easier. I also noticed somewhat the same effects as some of you though from smoking, such as anxiety, paranoia, and even guilt. I loved getting stoned, but it’s started to become less fun. I’ve lost friends, and I feel like a lost myself. I started smoking at 16 and am now 26. I’ve tried to stop several times in that time but no success. I don’t know if I’m ever going to smoke again. (Even though I want to) I’m just taking it an hour/minute/craving at a time. I don’t even think about tomorrow (when it comes to smoking again) . My dreams are crazy and very vivid. I’m also very irritable. At some points in the past. Five days, I’ve also felt like just quitting everything, like my job, paying my bills, etc but I know I can’t. I also got rid of all my smoking gadgets and I think that has helped a lot with temptation. I also set a quit date (last Friday) and that also seemed to help. At this point, I wish I could tell people I’m quitting weed, especially people who didn’t even know I smoked like my parents, but I haven’t. I feel like I can’t or shouldn’t. Honestly I don’t want to make a big thing of it. Honestly I wish I had the control I have with beer, with weed. I don’t need to drink everyday, nor do I. I’m a social drinker. But I’ve gone up to a month without having one single beer. Not as a challenge, or try to quit, but just because I didn’t feel like drinking. I had other shit to do I guess. I wish I had this same control with pot. I just want to find myself again. Another thing, I feel it’s weird, and you may not understand, but I feel like I haven’t grown mentally since I started smoking weed at 16. Kind of like : I have the body of 26 year old, with the brain of a 16 year old BEFORE I started smoking weed. Idk. Sorry for the ramble. Just the thoughts coming out of my head.
    I’m glad I found a recent forum. I look forward to hearing the experiences of other users trying to quit.

• Babs June 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

I am engaged to a pot addict. I really thought I could learn to live with this addiction, but am seeing how it is affecting our relationship in a negative way. Forgetfulness ,
    Not wanting to do go anywhere together (no more dates) :( I never get flowers anymore or treated the way I did when we first met. He is now growing weed and it seems to be all consuming for him. Last year it was one greenhouse full, this year it is two. The smell is overpowering for me and I am afraid of smelling like weed when I go to work or church. I am deeply hurt and saddened by it all. I know that the weed has become much more important than I am. I don’t believe I can marry this person because it is beginning to affect my self esteem. What a shame. We could have been so happy together and had such a wonderful life. :(

• G July 22, 2014, 6:59 am

Great column and thank you, I need to quit because it’s happening to me. And it has to stop for my life and for that of my 7 year old son.

• rudi rodriguez August 29, 2014, 3:23 pm

How can I sign up to your news later? I want to stop smoking weed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• John September 1, 2014, 12:52 pm

Well…………..I’m taking my 1st step here………..I love marijuana as it gives me incentive to exercise…yoga…pilates…walking.
    I do these things MUCH better when high and as a result am a very fit 74 year old overcoming severe arthritis and other associated pain……when I am not high I tend to do less exercise and suffer more.
    I am also quite deaf and tend to spend much time on photography rather than be with friends. I have a lovely wife who is addicted to tobacco…not weed…and has no objection to my addiction…..I smoke twice a day.
    But something wants me to stop. I don’t know how as I’m enjoying it with what I do…I’m retired with a major change coming soon (moving). Maybe that will HELP.

• Michael smith September 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Eight years of smoking weed I want to do it for ever but I no it’s holding me back at work move to Amsterdam :-)

• jen October 8, 2014, 10:57 am

I have been smoking weed heavily for the past five years, I’m almost 31 now and find my whole life now revolves around weed. I recently left my job because honestly I would smoke so much weed before work, I wasn’t up to the task of a job, in a busy cafe. I left early and went straight home and rolled a spliff. As soon as I wake up in the morning I smoke weed and recently I spent my last 50 bucks on it, So no I am faced with the opportunity to really qit, although my b.f has it in the house too. I am so torn. I have lost all motivation and am afraid of my life without something to take up all the time i have on my hands. I used to paint and sew and create things but I dont do any of that now. i have an interview on friday and i just hope i can be myself for once. reading everyones posts really helps me to feel better. but unfortunately I am reading them baked outta my mind, bored and alone in my crappy apartment. wanting to get out for a jog, but the other half of me just wants to go back to bed and lie there thinking too much. either way I feel trapped in my own life. Id recommend not starting if you have the chance, i wish i never got in with the bad kids in highschool, i feel like even at 31 im still that angsty teenager, uncomfortable in her own skin and shallow as hell. I dont know who i am anymore, and i think weed is the reason for that. it’s b.s if someone says weed isnt addictive, i smoke it like a chainsmoker whenever i can. its worse because i mix it with tobacco, so im doing twice the damage to my lungs. yeeha!! three cheers for quitting. hopefully i have the balls to really do it this time. i can see so much just falling apart if i cant get control over mysefl with weed, and cigs. both are equally bad. ne ways long ramble, hope someone atleast can get a sense of how messed up it can make your life. i cant even get myself to leave the house most of the time. super depressing shit