Marijuana Side Effects – When to Stop Smoking Weed

Hi Everyone,

Smoking Marijuana used to be a lot of fun for me, I am not going to lie. But it was a bit of a slippery slope. I don’t know exactly when it happened, but the side effects of smoking marijuana started to become worse than the ‘high’.

Marijuana Side Effects
I started smoking heavily while I was in university, at around 18 years old.   I was able to keep up my grades, and social expectations, but still enjoy a regular smoke…..for a while.     Gradually, I started to puff more often, until I was smoking 1/4 oz of fine herb every 4 or 5 days.    I would wake and bake, then smoke a cigarette (I wasn’t a cigarette smoker…but I thought it got me more high) first thing in the morning.   Then I would chase the high all day.

I carried on like this for YEARS…I was really stuck in a rut.. The marijuana side effects were way worse for my life than the short feeling of the high, and I knew I had to stop smoking weed…When you think about side effects, you probably think about coughing, red eyes, and the munchies…but what about the larger lifestyle side effects of smoking weed?

For me, there was always some anxiety about people finding out I smoked, or being stoned in public.   There was also the anxiety of running out.   I used to run around my apartment looking for scraps in the cracks of the coffee table, couch cushions, and on the floor.      There was also the $20,000 or so dollars I spent smoking weed.  That’s a down payment on house….or a brand new car.   My health suffered, partly from smoking, partly from being lazy, because that’s what happened when I got high.

I have gained some perspective in the last 6 months.   I don’t really identify with the ‘the person I was’ when I was such a heavy smoker.   Don’t get me wrong, I know that was me, but I am kinda embarassed about it.    I have friends from that point in my life who only know me as a stoner, and that’s a label no one wants.   To my close friends, I have made some apologies, because I wasn’t holding up my side of the friendship like I do now…luckily they have given me the opportunity to prove it.   Who would have thought that long term marijuana side effects would be losing friends….it happens.

If you can relate to this, and are still smoking, there are a few things I want to tell you.   First off.  You CAN do it!   Second, think of the weed side effects that you have…and don’t think of just the red eyes and stuff…think of your lifestyle, and if this is the lifestyle you want to keep on living.    Personally, I needed to quit weed if I wanted to progress as an individual.  I know it sounds a little corny….but it’s truth.

One thing that I recommend is my mailing list you can

Get On My Mailing List Today

Leave me some comments if you have specific questions.  I do my best to answer them.

{ 712 comments… add one }

• Bee May 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

I am glad I have found so many of you… I love weed but I want my life back! I’m desperate but don’t know hoe to handle the mental addiction

• DEBA May 25, 2014, 3:33 am

Thanks buddy..This helps me a lot..really thanks.. :smile:

• Oscar May 28, 2014, 8:41 am

I’m on day 5 today of not smoking. Goddamn this mental addiction is hard! BUT it is getting easier. I also noticed somewhat the same effects as some of you though from smoking, such as anxiety, paranoia, and even guilt. I loved getting stoned, but it’s started to become less fun. I’ve lost friends, and I feel like a lost myself. I started smoking at 16 and am now 26. I’ve tried to stop several times in that time but no success. I don’t know if I’m ever going to smoke again. (Even though I want to) I’m just taking it an hour/minute/craving at a time. I don’t even think about tomorrow (when it comes to smoking again) . My dreams are crazy and very vivid. I’m also very irritable. At some points in the past. Five days, I’ve also felt like just quitting everything, like my job, paying my bills, etc but I know I can’t. I also got rid of all my smoking gadgets and I think that has helped a lot with temptation. I also set a quit date (last Friday) and that also seemed to help. At this point, I wish I could tell people I’m quitting weed, especially people who didn’t even know I smoked like my parents, but I haven’t. I feel like I can’t or shouldn’t. Honestly I don’t want to make a big thing of it. Honestly I wish I had the control I have with beer, with weed. I don’t need to drink everyday, nor do I. I’m a social drinker. But I’ve gone up to a month without having one single beer. Not as a challenge, or try to quit, but just because I didn’t feel like drinking. I had other shit to do I guess. I wish I had this same control with pot. I just want to find myself again. Another thing, I feel it’s weird, and you may not understand, but I feel like I haven’t grown mentally since I started smoking weed at 16. Kind of like : I have the body of 26 year old, with the brain of a 16 year old BEFORE I started smoking weed. Idk. Sorry for the ramble. Just the thoughts coming out of my head.
    I’m glad I found a recent forum. I look forward to hearing the experiences of other users trying to quit.

• Babs June 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

I am engaged to a pot addict. I really thought I could learn to live with this addiction, but am seeing how it is affecting our relationship in a negative way. Forgetfulness ,
    Not wanting to do go anywhere together (no more dates) :( I never get flowers anymore or treated the way I did when we first met. He is now growing weed and it seems to be all consuming for him. Last year it was one greenhouse full, this year it is two. The smell is overpowering for me and I am afraid of smelling like weed when I go to work or church. I am deeply hurt and saddened by it all. I know that the weed has become much more important than I am. I don’t believe I can marry this person because it is beginning to affect my self esteem. What a shame. We could have been so happy together and had such a wonderful life. :(

• G July 22, 2014, 6:59 am

Great column and thank you, I need to quit because it’s happening to me. And it has to stop for my life and for that of my 7 year old son.

• rudi rodriguez August 29, 2014, 3:23 pm

How can I sign up to your news later? I want to stop smoking weed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• John September 1, 2014, 12:52 pm

Well…………..I’m taking my 1st step here………..I love marijuana as it gives me incentive to exercise…yoga…pilates…walking.
    I do these things MUCH better when high and as a result am a very fit 74 year old overcoming severe arthritis and other associated pain……when I am not high I tend to do less exercise and suffer more.
    I am also quite deaf and tend to spend much time on photography rather than be with friends. I have a lovely wife who is addicted to tobacco…not weed…and has no objection to my addiction…..I smoke twice a day.
    But something wants me to stop. I don’t know how as I’m enjoying it with what I do…I’m retired with a major change coming soon (moving). Maybe that will HELP.

• Michael smith September 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Eight years of smoking weed I want to do it for ever but I no it’s holding me back at work move to Amsterdam :-)

• jen October 8, 2014, 10:57 am

I have been smoking weed heavily for the past five years, I’m almost 31 now and find my whole life now revolves around weed. I recently left my job because honestly I would smoke so much weed before work, I wasn’t up to the task of a job, in a busy cafe. I left early and went straight home and rolled a spliff. As soon as I wake up in the morning I smoke weed and recently I spent my last 50 bucks on it, So no I am faced with the opportunity to really qit, although my b.f has it in the house too. I am so torn. I have lost all motivation and am afraid of my life without something to take up all the time i have on my hands. I used to paint and sew and create things but I dont do any of that now. i have an interview on friday and i just hope i can be myself for once. reading everyones posts really helps me to feel better. but unfortunately I am reading them baked outta my mind, bored and alone in my crappy apartment. wanting to get out for a jog, but the other half of me just wants to go back to bed and lie there thinking too much. either way I feel trapped in my own life. Id recommend not starting if you have the chance, i wish i never got in with the bad kids in highschool, i feel like even at 31 im still that angsty teenager, uncomfortable in her own skin and shallow as hell. I dont know who i am anymore, and i think weed is the reason for that. it’s b.s if someone says weed isnt addictive, i smoke it like a chainsmoker whenever i can. its worse because i mix it with tobacco, so im doing twice the damage to my lungs. yeeha!! three cheers for quitting. hopefully i have the balls to really do it this time. i can see so much just falling apart if i cant get control over mysefl with weed, and cigs. both are equally bad. ne ways long ramble, hope someone atleast can get a sense of how messed up it can make your life. i cant even get myself to leave the house most of the time. super depressing shit

• kelsie October 22, 2014, 6:26 am

for the past two months, i was just thinking what have gone wrong with my life in these past years. and of course i just realised that weed has taken control over my life. i got off from my engagement because i “secretly” smoked weed, pending my graduation, constantly changing jobs and the list continues with lots of irresponsible, immature, childish choices i made over weed. i used to be a straight a student (and the irony is the fact that Im a psychology student but now i have some addiction problem myself) who smokes weed. a kind of cool chick that got everything together (at least that what my friends were thinking) but not until i found the joy of being isolated and being heavily intact with my “weed-fantasy-realm”. i started withdraw from my circle, doing “mysterious” job (really?) even when im about to buy some from my dealer, i would lie to him saying that the weed is for my friend(just because i dont wanted him to know that i smoke that much of weed i really am feel ashamed of how much bags i need to satisfy my weed-crave), my mood has become unstable, i dont know who i am anymore, things are collided and blurry all the time. i cant which one is my reality. now i woke up with a lot of clutters in my life. yes it is true when you started to smoke weed your mental maturity is kind of fixated, i really stuck in a mature body but with such a “youthful” mind. and like an addict i have to admit that i have a problem. it is not the substance (considering weed as the “safe” drug) but it is more likely the cognitive pattern that i have developed, the urgency to know whether there is going to be enough weed to supply your life for the next weeks, months, years? living this kind of life is really frustrating especially when you really good covering it up like me. my parents never suspected anything (since i always scored some a’s) but now? my advisors, teachers, friends, parents it seems that they are moving forward with their lives while i havent finished my school, i have problems with commitment and only in 25 years old, i feel already living in a rut (what a wasteful thought). btw today is my first day of quitting, so im really sorry for my ramble (as i really experience some cravings right now) :mrgreen:
    cheers

• Sam November 13, 2014, 3:45 am

I can relate to everything Ive read in the article and comments. I smoked hash (mixed with tobacco) everyday for 3 years and now ive been clean for 40 days. The part that bothers me the most is that in these years ive been labled as a stoner. Throughout college none of my friends knew how to roll a joint, hence I had to do the job always. Till today when I go to any party I am expected to have stuff or a joint with me, as if its a part of who I am. I hate this Weed identity that has stuck with me and I just dont know how to get rid of it. I have realised that being clean is the only way I can live life but Its going to take time for people around me that I have chosen the right path now. Its just so frustrating and I feel helpless that I cant undo the damage that ive done to myself physically and emotionally. For all the people reading this post, Its never too late to quit and start over. And once you start over you will need to undo the damage that you have done to yourself. Be strong and trust in the people aroud you. Your friends and family will always be there, no matter what!!

• Benjamin November 14, 2014, 10:02 am

First of all I would like to say thank you to everyone who wrote on how weed has changed your lives physically and emotionally. I realized I always had a problem with smoking weed as it use to run my life to a degree. I never done tricks for weed, or sold valuable, but I certainly have spent the last bit of my money multiple times on weed, I’ve also gone hungry because I chose to remain high then get up, eat and just overall be active.

I also just got out of a 3yr relationship that tore me apart. I experienced all the things people experience when ending a long relationship with someone who becomes apart of your daily life/routine. I then realized it’s my addiction to weed that has truly ruined my 3yr relationship. I’m not saying all weed is bad, but like any other drug it should be taken responsibly and with moderation. In fact I still love weed despite me taking control back of my life, but there is a time and place for everything, and mines isn’t always smoking weed, sitting on the couch, eating, watching tv, and not doing any exercise.

Before I was addicted to weed I would go out more, be more social despite me not be very social to begin with, by my girlfriend flowers, random gifts, and etc. When the addiction started to set in I realized all this stopped and I knew something was wrong, but I just didn’t wanna admit it at the time as I thought what I was doing was not hurting anyone, but in reality it was hurting my ex girlfriend, my work performance, social life, family life.

My ex girlfriend even mentioned to me about my addiction, but of course being in denial I said “No, you’re wrong. I just enjoy it.” Now that I have taken my life back from chasing the high all the time, I feel much better.

I use to smoke like 5-7 bowls a day, so you know I pretty much would be couch-locked unless I had to go to work, shop for food, and other activities that needed a sober mind. I have no reduced how much I smoke to just a bowl, sometimes two a day. May not seem a lot to most of you guys, but to me this is huge as before I needed to smoke at least 5-7 bowls a day just to get my high and function. With time of course I hope to only really smoke on weekends when I’m not doing anything within the time frame and not sneaking in smoke sessions before going places with friends and etc.

Thank you guys for reading my comment and I really am happy I’m not alone in all of this.