Weed Withdrawal – what are the side effects?

People talk a lot about weed, but what they forget to mention is that just like there are side effects to smoking weed, there are also side effects to weed withdrawal. It’s kind of strange that it’s not talked about very much, but as I don’t really like to complain, I decided to take a few minutes and create this short article that will describe the side effects of quitting pot.

Ready?

1. Lack of sleep.

That’s one of the first things you’ll notice if you decide to quit marijuana. You’ll not sleep very well. I’ll tell you even more, you’ll not sleep much at all. You’ll probably be so preoccupied with the desire to smoke, you’ll not be able to rest. There are some things you can do to help that, but we’ll talk about them later.

2. Not much of an appetite.

Have you ever been in love? Of course you have. If you’re like me, when you’re in love, you don’t eat much, because you’re just not in the mood. See, the problem is that when you go through weed withdrawal, you won’t eat much either. You’ll be one of those people that sit at the table staring at their food for ages without ANY desire to take a bite, so get ready.

3. You might angry.

That’s another thing that’s really common. After all, weed is considered to be a strong drug that will get you pretty hooked, so weed withdrawal has to be annoying. I am sure you’ve been around someone who decided to quit smoking regular cigarettes, right? Do you remember how easily worked up they were?

You could say pretty much anything and they would get mad. Well, multiply that by at least five and you’ll get a pre-taste of what will happen with you when you go through weed withdrawal.

4. You might pretty depressed.

That’s the last thing I want to mention here. You’ll want to smoke. In fact, you’ll want to smoke so bad that the thought you can’t will make you really miserable. That will pass when the weed withdrawal is over, but it will last until you’re clean. Of course, since you’ll get really sad and extremely mad, as mentioned above, you’ll be perfectly antisocial, so be sure to let your friends know you’re quitting so that they are prepared.

Weed withdrawal side effects are real and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. They will happen, but it does not mean that quitting weed is not worth it. Once you’re through with it, you’ll be glad you’re not addicted anymore and you’ll feel really free.

Good luck and talk soon.

{ 32 comments… add one }

• shelly lynn November 24, 2012, 4:50 am

I have for 10 years wanted, needed to stop pot. I do it for the excuses of pain, I am psycho, to be a people person, I am bi=polar. The excuses go on and on. The withdrawals cause me to keep going back. I am sick about it everyday. I hate pot but guess what it’s like the devil it won’t let go and my strength well aint asdstrong as the devil. Been clean 4 days today. DYEING> :idea:

• Roxanne January 10, 2013, 1:05 pm

Hi Shelly!
    I’m thinking of quitting again and afraid of the withdrawals,
    How are you doing now and is there anything to help?

• Courtney January 16, 2013, 1:11 am

Today is my second day clean I have experienced headaches as well as fatigue. I can admit i have a urge to smoke but I cannot go back I need to move forward I’m excited to know that one day the urge will leave and I will be able to function daily without smoking.

• kate February 3, 2013, 7:24 pm

I joined Marijauna anoymous a month ago. Great group and great information. Once addicted, always addicted. There is no such thing again as an occasional high. If you partake, soon you will be right back to smoking daily, hourly etc. It is progressive. Check out the online MA. and Good luck

• jessica February 8, 2013, 9:42 am

Hang in there . It sucks bad. I’ve smoked for 20+ yrs and I’m only 33the withdrawal is horrible. I was always told you couldn’t get addicted and have withdrawal. That’s a bunch of bull, it is a real addiction with real withdrawal, I’m 4 days clean thought I had to go to emergency room for panic attacks. See I didn’t know why I was having them I thought it was family stress. Hang in there it gets better. You ‘ll get your life back

• Dan February 24, 2013, 12:01 pm

Nightmares. Since I stopped smoking I have terrible, very vivid dreams. I get depressed, angry, mean. How long before I am normal again? Is it that much better to be a non smoker? At 38 I have been smoking for 25 years… A quarter of a century. I know I am an addict. The only thing that may “save” me is the fact that I have outlived my suppliers and when you are my age it gets harder to find someone who doesn’t think you are a cop. I have a bag of seeds… I need to throw them away before I do something stupid. I just feel so weak sometimes… I am on the edge of quitting and fighting it every step of the way.

• Kyle February 25, 2013, 6:04 pm

I’m now at day 2 and I’m already suffering from lack of sleep and when I do sleep the dreams are extremely vivid and at times scary. Every time
    I’m at home now and there’s noone home (aka prime smoke time) I pretty much just laze around doing nothing but thinking about smoking :/…. Hopefully I can pull through for my future as I go backto uni in a couple of days

• michele March 8, 2013, 7:04 pm

i hear ya Jessica :( I have been smoking since i was 16 and i am now 41. i have quit many times before and it’s hard as hell to do. yet i start again :( which means i have to go through quitting all over again. i have some weed left now and cant wait for it to be gone so i can be done with pot….i want nothing more then to lead a pot free lifestyle. i hope like hell i can do this and not hurt my family with my words of anger during the process :(

• michele March 8, 2013, 7:04 pm

how are you doing anyway Jessica? it’s been a month since your last post

• Mac April 24, 2013, 7:57 pm

Hey guys I’m just wondering if anyone has had any anxiety trying to quit? I don’t have any cravings for weed but for the past two days I’ve been really anxious for no reason and nervous to do familiar things. I also have no appetite. Can anyone help? Will this go away?

• ponch April 25, 2013, 5:10 pm

i feel very congested. i quit 4 days ago and i feel like all the resin needs to leave my lungs. i feel like i have a minor flu with a raspy throat feeling. i have runny mucus but if i dig deep enough to make a solid piece of phlem i can literately see the tar in the phlem.

• Leonard June 6, 2013, 12:00 pm

Hi i smoke zol for 5 jares,its may first day cleen is weure hurt to stop smoking,and is ther i easy way to stop smoking

• Kristy June 24, 2013, 5:49 am

Hi Jessica……I am in the situation you were. I am 31 and smoked for 2o years daily. I want to quit but like everyone else I work, go to school, am a wife and mother of 2. I don’t have time for withdrawal symptoms…….Did you succeed? Any helpful info would be appreciated!!

• Sarah July 11, 2013, 12:47 am

Hi all this is all very new to me, it’s my first time giving up and so far I’ve lasted 5 days still going, haven’t had much of an appetite and have had mood swings I’m not sleeping either with makes it hard with two under 2 :(

• Roberto July 11, 2013, 10:47 pm

Hey everyone.

I’m on day 14 of being clean. Been smoking for 3 years but only in the past year started smoking an ounce a week of high grade Piff. First 10 days I had little to no sleep! Go to bed at 3am wake up for work at 5am. It sucked but it only gets better My sleep is kind of back into routine now.
    I also suffered with appetite loss. Went from 76kg to 72kg but in the last 3/4 days my appetite has picked up and I’m back to eating like a horse!
    The first week was killer. I had stomach pains and headaches. The craving was more intense than cigarettes but the craving died after 10days.
    As others have said nightmares occur. Real vivid nightmares which involve people you know and are close to! Pretty insane lol

When I decided to quit I threw out all my

• Roberto July 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

How to stop smoking.

1. Be ready to quit!
    2. Throw out all paraphernalia
    3. Avoid those who smoke even if they are your friends!
    4. You need some people to consul in like mum and dad or somebody your close to that DOESN’T smoke weed so they keep on your case!
    5. Stay occupied.
    6. Focus, Determination and progression will get you through this.

Ride the withdrawal symptoms. You’ll Be fine after 14 days. I feel great now. I’m 19 years old and this is what it takes.

The high grade weed we get is dangerous shit. Not in terms of health but you become a fucking MONG.

I smoked an ounce every week personal. No American puff puff pass.
    I’m from uk. Ounces aren’t cheap for the best. We talking £240-£300.
    That’s another main thing MONEY. Being forever poor with lots of weed ? Fuck that.
    It’s time to bite the bullet. Take control of your life.

People may disagree but that’s because they are still smoking weed. I was the same ignorant person like other while smoking.

Like I said before. You must be READY to quit. Other wise you’ll last 2days max and go buy a bag.

Regards Roberto

• Aim July 13, 2013, 11:00 am

I feel everyones pain! its been almst a mo. for me after 26yrs of everyday use. I have aniexty disorder + bipolar. so my emotions are all over the place. sick to my stomach, headache, cant sleep, sleep a day+ away. trying to function sucks! how much longer till u feel better. I can hardly hang on!

• Aim July 13, 2013, 11:07 am

I share th pain! been almst a mo. for me after 26yrs of everyday use. I have aniexty disorder + bipolar. so my emotions are all over the place. sick to my stomach, headache, cant sleep or sleep a day+! this sucks! how much longer till I feel better hardly hangin on!

• Renee October 16, 2013, 6:46 pm

44 years old smoking on and off since 14 years old. Always felt I could quit when I wanted, until the past 2 years its been a daily problem…… I don’t like being not in control! Haven’t smoked 3 days….horrible headache, sleepless nights and dreams and I never normally dream…..Gotta get this under control, maybe with suffering withdraws I will remember and not want to go through again! :roll:

• Kellie October 17, 2013, 6:07 am

I have been smoking since I was 16 years old and I am now 36 and want so badly to get the monkey off my back
    I just carnt seem to do it I get to day 10 or 30 and i give in, it’s like my brain carnt function
    I have been to the dr but received no help he said it’s all in your head it’s not an addiction wtf yes it is
    Anyways it day one and I’m so ad I found this website and hope I can stop smoking
    How long does it take to get out of my system ?????
    Dose anyone know how to get the newsletter thanks

• Stu December 18, 2013, 5:17 pm

38 years old started smoking at age 14 been clean for 5 days still angry and find myself freaking out :evil: then being nice :roll: used to being high and allways being nice unless my bag was running low then on edge eager to score. I gotta get through this never thought weed was controlling my moods that much.I miss my happy place with mary jane this is harder than I thought!!! :shock:

• viwe January 2, 2014, 5:20 am

I have been smoking weed every day for 4 years.I thought it would be easy to get out as It haven’t been that long. But guess what!? Its the hardest thing I have ever done in my life . I haven’t smoked for 4 days and I can’t take it anymore . Headache,sleepless nyts,anger,irritation,stomach cramps,loss of appetite you name it.. I try to replace it with a cigarette but it jus doesn’t work.. Do you have any advice/tips I could use?

• Anon UK guy January 3, 2014, 4:10 pm

I’m 31yrs old, got introduced to puff at 16 and then weed became more fashionable/affordable when I was about 18. Have smoked weed everyday since, a very rigid routine of working hard (last 6 years as a bank manager!!), and getting home and smoking 2 joints a night. Friday nights and weekends prob 3/4 joints per day. The stronger weed I can find the better. Have been heavily addicted/dependant for 12 years now….
    Now it’s time to quit though. It’s holding me back, I’m so unmotivated, and am in such a routine of smoking weed at a set time every day, every week. Eating munchees daily is now starting to take its toll and I’m getting fat, and have no motivation to exercise. So I’ve gotta knock it on the head, for health reasons and, particularly if I want to further my career.
    Glad I’ve found this website, not many on the web, surprisingly, like this. Really useful to read everyone else’s experiences and circumstances. Although, like me, 5 days in weed free, does appear that we all go through the same thought processes during the early stages of our attempts to quit….we all go looking for websites to support us – weird that.
    As for the early withdrawal symptoms, getting to sleep is tough, but my dreams are crazy mad – almost like Hollywood films (quite look forward to them!).
    Surprisingly the urges to smoke haven’t really been there, but I think that’s because I have no weed here and I’m determined not to pick up the phone to my dealer (in fact, I’m now gonna delete his number).
    Worst one is the mucus I’m bringing up. You can see all the black bits of tar, and it leaves a disgusting taste in your mouth.
    I know these are the early stages, but so far so good!
    Best of luck of all those that attempt to quit….there comes a time for all of us to decide enough is enough, and after 15 years of enjoying weed (and boy do I enjoy it!), my time is now – not gonna be easy, but determination is the key

• John January 22, 2014, 9:25 am

I’m on day five now. I smoked from 1973-1996, quit for five years, and started again and smoked from 2001-2014. I’ve quit before, I know I can do this. I’m doing it because I want to, not because my asshole dealer is playing games with me. I have about two grams of top notch stuff in the garage. I think it helps knowing that it is there. When you HAVE to quit it is much more difficult. I realized that during that five year period when I didn’t even have ONE hit, those were the most productive years in my life. I’m not sure why I went back, I just wanted to try it again I guess. I was so high that first time going back I couldn’t find my ass with both hands. Anyway, here I am, 53 years old and suddenly I don’t feel like a hopeless old man anymore. I need to stay focused, the withdrawl symptoms are starting to subside. Oh, and I was only smoking 1/8 to 1/4 oz. a month. Still was addicted, just doing 3 or 4 pinch hits a day. Pretty crazy. The cost was not an issue, only $2-$3 a day. Less than a latte at starbucks. Still, I was paranoid, moody, lazy and stupid. I hope this helps someone. God bless. :cool:

• Korynne January 26, 2014, 3:59 am

Michele, I’m 41 and right there with you in every way. With all of you guys.

• james February 5, 2014, 1:13 am

This is all because of the imbalance in weed nowadays you know. We didn’t need these kinds of resources back in the 60s and 70s. We have been breeding higher THC strains and this has bred out the CBD CBC and CBG etc.

High THC content does get you more battered more quickly, but it leaves you much more monged and psychologically affected.

Money has never been an issue because I always grew my own, so quitting is even harder. Now I smoke a high CBD strain called medihaze and I function much better. I’m still habitually addicted, but I no longer get sweats when I stop for a day and my motivation is way up – plus I do frequently go a day without even though I have a big jar of it by my bed.

If anyone is failing at going cold-turky then I recommend going half way first, get higher CBD strain (used as anti-psychotic in the US now) and you’ll find quitting much easier, or it will at least reduce the harm done by smoking high grade cheese 24/7 – plus it still tastes dank and that is the thing that always gets me smoking again… that fruity tangy smell mmm… sorry :)

• Randy February 10, 2014, 12:00 pm

63 years old and been smoking since 31. During that 32 years I may have not smoked for 200 days est. Double pneumonia gave me a scare, and not smoking was fairly easy. Its been about 25 days now. I did take a hit or two of hash in the middle of this time period, but the smoking really hurt. After being in the hosp. (ICU 3 days) then two more before being discharged, deciding to quit was actually easy . I was prescribe quite a few drugs, including Prednisone, 4days worth. second or third night home, had a small “cookie”. Got up at 11pm to eat, got up at 1am to eat some more. Thought the drugs were doing this, but on third night I didn’t have a cookie, and did not get up to eat. My BP was very high 188/118.

• Kaybs February 26, 2014, 2:21 am

Turning 25 this year and have been smoking since i was 16. I tried quitting late last year and went through the withdrawal symptoms which sent me back to the weed. The withdrawal was painful not just to me but my loved ones as i became easily irritated/agitated and angry from when i wake up till i sleep. I didnt realise that i was going through withdrawal at the time and felt like my loved ones were the cause of my anger. I decided to go back to smoking since i was making everyone, including me, sad and very depressed. I am going to try again and after reading the comments on this site, im more informed of what to expect when the going gets tough. Now all i need is ways to deal with my anger and all the other issues of withdrawal. Im lucky enough to have my family’s support and my girlfriend lives with me and has told me to stop and said that she will help wherever she can. I love mary jane but i hate the person i have become because of it. I can function well while im an addict (im a fund accountant) and one of the best perfroming employees at the company i work for. Its my life out of the office that is controlled by weed and THAT WILL CHANGE!!!!

• smellycat May 22, 2014, 8:18 pm

I have been habitually smoking marijuana since i was 20 yrs old. i will soon be 30 and think that for close to a decade i have been in this haze that has made me feel like everything is going great. I have a decent job, a family with two amazing boys, a home that is clean and proud, ect…ect… then there are those moments when in reflection you truly feel like marijuana is holding you back from what you truly could be in life with a 100% clear mind. it has been almost a week and the hardest thing to this point is not the withdrawl, not the lack of sleep, not the desire to smoke but realization in your mind that you are what you have become; and fighting the moments where you feel like this isnt worth it. Or everything good you have done is no longer worth it and you just want to quit it all and run. everything that made me happy while smoking is not making me “happier” from quitting. its like I have to reinvent my own self worth. the person I thought I was is dead and its our job to support each other and know that it will get better. so in short know that its got to be worth it wether the demons like it or not. hope im reading this one day laughing at my weakest moment knowing that i did it with the simple help of a blog and a strong mind, along with a supportive family!!!!!!!! GO LIFE!!!!

• laura June 30, 2014, 1:34 pm

Im thinking about stopping so any advice is welcome x. Been smoking since i was 18, in now 34. Thanks in advance

• tanya July 7, 2014, 12:09 pm

hi everyone hope you all get through it, I am trying to understand all this to help my son it is sad to find out you have no friends what don’t smoke , my son feels like he will never have anyone if he gives it up it has be 14 days for him and we have be to hell , trying to understand it all all the best to all

• Mick August 13, 2014, 2:59 am

It’s day two & I’m fucking struggling your comments are getting me through people thank you